At CN, we work together to move our company-and North America-forward. Be part of our Information & Technology (I&T) team, a critical piece of the engine that keeps us in motion. From enterprise architecture to operational technology, our teams use the agile methodology to automate and digitize our railroad ensuring our operations run optimally and safely and our employees can focus on value-added tasks. You will be able to develop your skills and career in our close-knit, safety-focused culture working together as ONE TEAM. The careers we offer are meaningful because the work we do matters. Join us!
CN harnesses the power of information every minute of every day to make better decisions. Almost every aspect of our business relies on technology; this is why CN invests around $100 million every year on I&T projects and infrastructure. And with close to 1,000 in-house employees, CN's I&T team is more than a first-class technology shop - they're railroaders, dedicated to enabling our people to work better and to helping our trains run safely.
The role of Specialist Solution Management will provide technical and/or functional subject matter expertise (SME) to other team members and will coordinate / provide directions to other IT stakeholders involved in maintaining the integrity and evolution of the products he/she is accountable for. He/she will ensure those products do perform within the agreed upon SLA, are aligned to IT Standards (Security, Architecture, etc), meet our support excellence standards and are kept current at all time. This role acts as first escalation contact during problem resolution and will keep business stakeholders informed on progress.
On life cycle and product evolution management activities (enhancements), this role evaluates impacts to the products under his/hers responsibilities and will provide direction and coordination's to teams involved in product. On projects, this role provides SME knowledge and lead T2C activities to ensure smooth transition to operations of new product just being built.
• Pressure to meet changing priorities and deadlines
• Respond to emergency situations, including some overtime
• Triage application issues. May involve resolving the issues or coordinating with third party vendors or other internal parties for support. Ensure that issues are resolved, perform root cause analysis, and take any further action to ensure issue does not reoccur. Includes proactively making application changes to auto-correct off-hour processing.
• Coordinate system and application changes. These could be changes within the application affecting other areas, or outside the application that will affect target application. Ensure all parties are involved and prepared for application changes, ensure quality assurance testing is performed, and required approvals are obtained.
• Interact with third party vendors, and business owners, on changes, priorities, critical periodic processes, etc.
• Ensure interfaces with other applications are functional.
• Ensure security and confidential information is protected from inside and outside access.
• Manage notifications and emails related to scheduled processes.
• Manage scheduling of batch processing.
• Ensure documentation is up to date and meets requirements.
• On-call support.
• 5+ years of knowledge in the implementation, integration, configuration, support and management of production systems (or similar role)
• Intermediate+support Linuxand .Net applications (functional and technical)
• Intermediate+ knowledgeof DB - SQL
• Azureand Google Cloud certifications associate level minimum or equivalentexperience working with cloud bases applications such as writing automationscripts with powerShell or python and working with pipelines
• Basicknowledge of docker and kubernetes
• Advancedlevel in understanding and debugging message flows using wireshark, tcpdump orequivalent trace tools
Devops knowledge, CICD, python and java
• Prior experience in supporting web applications
• Experience in a 24/7 support environment
• Bachelor in Computer science, Information Systems, or equivalent degree or work experience
• Strong analytical and troubleshooting skills
• Excellent time management, interpersonal and communication skills (verbal and written), with high proficiency in English
• Able to communicate with all levels of the company
• Ability to lead others to achieve results
• Ability to share and collaborate within team (knowledge sharing)
• Ability to multi-task in a constantly evolving environment
• Availability outside of working hours for escalation during problem investigation/resolution or planned off hours work
• ITIL certification (ITIL Foundations 2011)
• Experience in system documentation and application of structured systems engineering processes
• Experience in IT solution support and evolution
CN is a world-class transportation leader and trade-enabler. Essential to the economy, to the customers, and to the communities it serves, CN safely transports more than 300 million tons of natural resources, manufactured products, and finished goods throughout North America every year. As the only railroad connecting Canada's Eastern and Western coasts with the Southern tip of the U.S. through a 19,500 mile rail network, CN and its affiliates have been contributing to community prosperity and sustainable trade since 1919. CN is committed to programs supporting social responsibility and environmental stewardship. At CN, we work as ONE TEAM, focused on safety, sustainability and our customers, providing operational and supply chain excellence to deliver results.
CN is an employment equity employer and we encourage all qualified candidates to apply. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only candidates under consideration will be contacted. Please monitor your email on a regular basis, as communication is primarily made through email.