Revised May 22nd, 2018
Who Uses Our Services
We make our Services available to different types of users. As discussed further below, the information that the Services collect from and share about a user may depend on the user type. An individual may be one or more of these types of users depending on the nature of his or her interactions with our Services.
- Author: An individual who drafts articles, posts content or creates other content displayed on the Website.
- Coach: An individual who maintains a profile and offers Coach Connect Services, through the Website, as a career counselor or job coach.
- Muse Coach Connect is an online Coach marketplace located on the Website where Members can schedule and pay for career-related services offered by Coaches.
- Coaching Session services include, but are not limited to, resume reviews, cover letter writing, career coaching, networking coaching, and skills coaching. These services are offered by Coaches on the Website or provided by a Coach to a Member via phone, video conferencing, or email.
- Employer: An entity that has an employer profile on the Website, posts job notices on the Website, or accepts job applications using the Website.
- Member: An individual who uses the Services.
Information We Collect
You can visit the Website and use some of the other Services without providing any information, including Personal Information. However, if you choose not to provide Personal Information, we may not be able to provide you with access to, or use of, some of the Services. As described below, we do automatically collect certain information when you use the Services. The Services also require you to provide Personal Information when you register as a Member, Coach, Author, or Employer. If you connect to the Website through LinkedIn or other third-party social media, please also see the Social Media Information below.
Information about Members. We collect various types of Personal Information about Members in connection with the Services, including:
- Email address
- Username and password
- Work and educational history
- Company and job title or details
- Other information contained on Member resumes
- Content posted by Members
- Information about which jobs members apply to through the Services
- Payment information
Information about Coaches and Authors. We collect various types of Personal Information about Coaches and Authors, including:
- Email address
- Phone number
- Username and password
- Company and job title
- Coach or Author biography
- Content posted by Coaches or Authors
- Financial account information
- Professional credentials and experience
We may ask for additional information about Coaches or Authors in order to determine whether they are a good fit for the Services. Information may be requested through such means as applications, telephone screenings, and reference checks. The Muse makes some of the Coach and Author information identified above available to Members and/or the public for the purpose of providing the Services. We also collect and retain rating information provided by Members about Coaches at the completion of a Coaching Session.
Information about Employers. We collect various types of Personal Information about Employers, including:
- Email address
- Phone number
- Username and password
- Content posted by Employers
The Muse may make certain of the Employer information identified above available to Members and/or the public for the purpose of providing the Services.
Social media information. You may choose to log in to the Website or other Services using a third-party social media service, such as LinkedIn. If you do so, we may collect Personal Information from the social media provider, including, for example, your username, email address, and available profile information, such as your public profile URL, profile photo, connections, industry, and location, as well as other information associated with your social media account. We will ask for your consent prior to your logging in to the Website using your social media account or connecting your social media account to the Website. If you provide such consent, you represent and warrant that you satisfy the terms regarding such accounts and have the authority to provide us with information about your social media connections.
Surveys. From time to time, we may ask our users to participate in surveys, contests, promotions, and sweepstakes which may be used to collect Personal Information. Participation is completely voluntary and declining to participate will not impact your use of the Services.
Payment Information. We collect certain payment and billing information when you purchase paid Services. You might also provide payment information, such as payment card details, which we collect via secure payment processing services we use to manage credit card processing and we do not store it on our servers.
Other information collected automatically through the Services. We also collect information automatically through the Services. This may include information such as your IP address and domain name, your location as inferred from your IP address, your internet service provider, the date and time of your visit to the Website, your use of the Services during your current session and over time (including the pages you view and the files you download), the URLs from the websites you visit before and after navigating to the Website, your computer’s or mobile device’s operating system and browser type, and your software and hardware attributes (including device IDs). We collect such information using a variety of mechanisms, including the following:
- Server Logs. When you visit the Website, we automatically receive and record certain information from your computer (or other device) and your browser. This may include data such as your IP address, the pages you visit, or features you use on the Website, and your general geographic location as inferred from your IP address. To obtain such information, we may use server logs or similar applications that recognize your computer or other devices and gather information about their online activity.
- Essential Cookies: These cookies are essential to the functioning of the Services and allow you to interact with and use the features of the Services. If these cookies are not permitted by your browser, we will not be able to provide certain features of the Services to you.
- Preference Cookies: These cookies are used to collect information about your choices and preferences, such as your preferred language or the country from which you visit the Services. We use this information to customize the Services to your preferences.
- If you are concerned about having cookies on your computer, you can set your browser to refuse all cookies or to indicate when a cookie is being set, allowing you to decide whether to accept it. You can also delete cookies from your computer. However, if you choose to block or delete cookies, certain features of the Website may not operate correctly.
- Pixel tags. The Services that you receive from us may use an application known as a “pixel tag” (also known as a “clear gif” or “web beacon”). A pixel tag is an electronic file that usually consists of a single-pixel image. It can be embedded in a web page or in an email to transmit information, which could include Personal Information. For example, it allows an email sender to determine whether a user has opened a particular email. Deleting or blocking cookies will not stop the collection of information through pixel tags and similar tracking mechanisms. However, as discussed in the section below titled “Third-Party Analytics and Targeted Advertising,” you can take steps to limit how such information is used for advertising purposes. Even in that event, we may continue to use the information for other purposes, including analytics.
- Local storage. We also may use HTML5 local storage to collect and retain certain information about you. Data in local storage is not deleted when you clear your cookies, but it can be deleted by following the instructions provided by your browser developer.
We may partner with certain third parties to collect, analyze, and use some of the Personal Information described above. For example, we may allow third parties to set cookies or use pixel tags on the Services or in email communications from The Muse. This information may be used for a variety of purposes, including analytics and targeted advertising, as described below.
How We Use Information
We may use information, including Personal Information, for a variety of purposes, as described below.
Personal Information. We use the Personal Information that we collect about users, including Members, Coaches, Authors, and Employers, to:
- Provide the Services to you and other users;
- Fulfill the terms of any agreement you have with us, respond to your requests, or otherwise complete a transaction that you initiate, including payment processing;
- Review, evaluate, and verify the credentials and experience of Coaches, including through screenings and reference checks;
- Post job notices and other company information for Employers;
- Transmit or redirect Members’ job applications to Employers;
- Send administrative communications related to the Services;
- Communicate with users through email notices, newsletters, and updates, including promotional communications about topics, products, jobs, and services that we believe will be of interest to users;
- Administer surveys, contests, or promotions;
- Engage in analysis and research concerning the Services, improve users’ experiences with the Services, and otherwise enhance the quality of our products and services;
- Create a custom experience for users and tailor our Services to users’ individual interests and preferences;
- Comply with legal and/or regulatory requirements, or to protect our rights and interests, as described below in the “Legal Purposes” subsection of this Policy;
- Compile and share aggregated information;
- Count and recognize visitors to the Services and analyze how visitors use the Services;
- Engage in analytics or targeted advertising as described in the “Third-Party Analytics and Targeted Advertising” section below; and
- For any other business purpose permitted by law.
How We Share Information with Third Parties
We may share information with third parties, including Personal Information, for a variety of purposes, as described below.
Other users of the Services. We may share information, including Personal Information, with other users of the Services where appropriate. For example, if you submit information to us or complete an application, we may share that information with an Employer who will then review and evaluate your application. Similarly, we may share a Member’s contact information with a Coach to enable them to communicate directly.
Business partners. We also may share your information, including Personal Information, with our business partners to fulfill your requests for the Services; complete a transaction that you initiate; or meet the terms of any agreement that you have with us or our business partners. For example, at a Member’s direction, we may share the Member’s contact information and resume directly with a third-party employer rather than through the Website.
Legal purposes. We also may use or share your information, including Personal Information, with third parties when we believe, in our sole discretion, that doing so is necessary:
- To comply with applicable law or a court order, subpoena, request from government or law enforcement, or other legal process;
- To investigate, prevent, or take action regarding illegal activities, suspected fraud, violations of our terms and conditions, or situations involving threats to our property or the property or physical safety of any person or third party;
- To establish, protect, or exercise our legal rights or defend against legal claims; or
- To facilitate the financing, securitization, insuring, merger, acquisition, sale, assignment, bankruptcy, or other disposal of all or part of our business or assets. In the event of an actual sale, merger, reorganization, dissolution or similar event relating to all or a portion of our business or assets, your information, including Personal Information, may be part of the transferred assets.
De-identified or aggregated information. We also may compile and share de-identified or aggregated information about users of the Services, such as by publishing a report on trends in the usage of the Services or sharing aggregated information about historical and real-time trends in employment. We also may share de-identified or aggregated information about the numbers, types, or origins of users who submit job applications on the sites of our business partners or who click on our business partners’ links on the Services (such as a job posting or article).
Third-Party Analytics and Targeted Advertising
We partner with certain third parties to collect information to engage in analytics, auditing, research, and reporting. These third parties may use web logs, pixel tags, or similar online tracking mechanisms, and they may set and access cookies on your computer or other device. For example, as discussed above, Employers may use pixel tags or scripts supplied by The Muse to track when users navigate to their websites and submit job applications.
The Services also may enable third-party tracking mechanisms to collect information on our Services over time and across unaffiliated websites for use in online behavioral advertising. For example, third parties may use the fact that you visited the Services to target online ads for the Services to you on websites that are not affiliated with The Muse. In addition, our third-party advertising partners might use information about your use of the Services to help target advertisements unrelated to The Muse based on your online behavior in general. For information about behavioral advertising practices, including privacy and confidentiality, visit the Network Advertising Initiative website or the Digital Advertising Alliance website.
The Muse uses physical, electronic, and procedural safeguards to protect your information against loss or unauthorized access, use, modification, or deletion. However, no security program is 100% secure, and thus we cannot guarantee the absolute security of your information.
Your Choices and Access to Information
Depending on your location and where applicable law requires, you may have the following choices with respect to your Personal Information:
- The right to access your Personal Information;
- The right to update your Personal Information by emailing us or, where appropriate, amending the personal details contained in your registered account with us. If practically possible, we will make corrections (where appropriate) based on your updated information;
- The right to withdraw your consent with respect to Personal Information that is collected on the basis of your consent;
- The right to request deletion of your Personal Information or object to its processing; and
- The right to lodge a complaint with us or, as applicable, with a supervisory authority.
If you want to learn more about the Personal Information that The Muse has about you, or you would like to exercise your choices regarding your Personal Information, including updating or changing that information, please contact us by email at email@example.com or by mail at the address in the “Questions or Comments” section below.
If you no longer want to receive marketing communications from The Muse, please follow the “unsubscribe” instructions that are included at the bottom of each message. Please note that if you unsubscribe from our marketing communications, you will still receive administrative messages.
Please note that due to technical reasons there will likely be a delay in accessing or deleting your Personal Information from our systems if you request it. We also will retain personal Information in order to comply with the law, protect our and others’ rights, resolve disputes or enforce our legal terms or policies, to the extent permitted under applicable law.
Transfer of Information to the United States
The Services are not directed to children under the age of 16, and The Muse does not knowingly collect Personal Information or other Information from anyone under the age of 16.
Third-Party Links, Websites, and Apps
We do not knowingly collect, and we ask that you not send us, and you not disclose, any sensitive Personal Information on or through the Services. Such information includes, but is not limited to, social security numbers, financial account information (except for payment information as required), and information related to or revealing racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religion or other beliefs, health, criminal background, or trade union membership.
Contact Information; Questions or Comments
The Daily Muse
1375 Broadway, 20th Floor
New York, NY 10018