Last year, the folks at the staffing company OfficeTeam released a survey that revealed something provocative about the American lunch hour: It doesn’t exist. Forty-eight percent of respondents said they take 30 minutes or less to break for lunch. And 71% of survey-takers said that they either work or socialize during that time.
If you can’t resist the temptation to do more than just eat during your lunch break, why not use the time to get ahead in your career? We’ve rounded up some of our best tips grouped in ways to help you use your time wisely.
Pick Up Smart Tips
- Learn the benefits of 10 minutes of meditation from this 10-minute video.
- Polish your grammar by avoiding these 38 common errors (and yes, this’ll only take you 10 minutes, too).
Connect With Your Co-workers
- First, check yourself and your behavior toward them.
- Then, make them laugh by sending a hilarious eCard.
Get Smarter and More Productive
- Honestly, read anything—it’ll make you seem smarter than most people.
- Pick one of these six productivity apps to download and try it out.
Strengthen Your Skills and Your Network
- Take a look at these 50 professional development classes and sign up for one!
- Say hello to an old contact without overthinking it.
- Add each of these 37 happiness tips into your work schedule (one per day!)
- Quit stressing about saving from your paycheck and make a quick plan to make it easy.