Senior Reporter – VICE World News
VICE World News is looking for two outstanding and ambitious reporters to join the team in EMEA as Senior Reporter.
The right person for this role has a background in and first-hand experience of international reporting, principally concerning the EMEA region. A deep knowledge of international affairs and understanding of online journalism is a must.
You will be tasked with seeking out breaking news stories to cover, bringing in exclusive stories, and writing engaging feature pieces across a variety of subject areas, and, where appropriate, work across different platforms.
The Senior Reporter will report to the Executive Editor in London, but we are open to reporters being based elsewhere.
VICE World News is fearless and independent. We pursue the stories that intrigue and confront us, no matter where those stories lead. We are always authentic, and tell stories from the perspective of people living them and the places where they happen. Our audience doesn’t come to us to reaffirm their beliefs; they want us to challenge them.
The right person for this role will have experience covering at least two of the following core areas:
- Protests, revolutions, armed conflict and authoritarian regimes
- Extremist groups including the far-right
- Climate change and underrepresented communities
- The power structures and politics that shape how people, drugs, money, and weaponry cross borders
- The institutional and social forces that drive racial inequality, and the movements combating them
Roles and responsibilities:
- Seek out and report on breaking news stories
- Bring in exclusive news stories
- Able to juggle shorter pieces, enterprise reporting, and features
- A willingness to be deployed internationally
- Work across different publishing platforms
- At least 5 years experience working professionally as a foreign correspondent or news reporter, including on the ground experience of international reporting trips
- A clear idea of the stories that matter and how we approach them
- While the role is primarily text-based, experience doing on-camera work is a bonus, and enthusiasm for experimenting with new ways of storytelling is a must.