The Morning Call in Allentown, Pa., is looking for a Senior Content Editor to help us grow audience across all of our digital platforms as well as print and mobile. The Senior Content Editor is responsible for supervising and developing reporters in the following areas of focus: Growth and Development, Education, Health Care and Urban Affairs.
The Senior Content Editor is responsible for assigning, editing and enhancing audience-focused content, from breaking news to enterprise and investigative stories to newsletters. This includes working directly with reporters, visual journalists and database journalists on content development and execution, editing text and writing compelling headlines.
We work remotely, but communicate multiple times daily with direct reports via Slack messages, phone calls, and meetings. This is a remote position, so relocation may not be necessary but gaining knowledge of the Lehigh Valley and understanding our audience would be required of a successful candidate.
The Morning Call is committed to hiring people with diverse backgrounds, voices and visions. Be yourself. Bring yourself. Because that's the only way we will deliver on our mission to provide meaningful journalism to the diverse communities we serve. We hold ourselves accountable for fostering inclusion and opportunity across race, gender, age, creed, identity and experience. Join us.
You will work in a fast-paced newsroom that requires all editors to juggle multiple responsibilities on any given day. Key responsibilities will include planning, writing and editing stories for our print and digital products.
In addition, you will be responsible to::
- Guide reporters on story and content development, ensuring the content is fair, balanced and compelling.
- Supervise reporters to develop enterprise pieces providing contextual news and information
- Ensure content is edited quickly for digital distribution
- Use expertise and good judgment in assigning content in the most appropriate formats, such as stories, takeaways, photo galleries, video, audio, timelines, charts, graphics and interactive tools
- Ensure that headlines are optimized for search engines and social.
- Help manage the timeliness and presentation of any topic area or digital channel assigned.
- Use audience metrics/analytics and keen news judgment to inform decisions on content assignments and engagement strategy.
- The position requires having a real-time mindset, attacking the news throughout the day, coming up with a continuous stream of fresh angles and new ideas.
- Must have a team-first work ethic and an ability to foster excellent communication with peers, supervisor(s), department and newsroom.
- Use metrics/analytics to showcase the best-performing content and to inform future coverage choices.
- Work on everything from breaking news to local entertainment to enterprise projects.
- Manage content from outside sources such as wire services; aggregate content or write quick briefs, when necessary; and publish on other platforms such as social media.
- Must possess initiative, creativity, good news judgment, attention to detail and a commitment to accuracy.
- Must be able to multitask and perform well on deadline with only moderate supervision.
- Need to be fast, but accurate, always striving to provide readers with what we know, when we know it. Be transparent about sources of information.
- Supervising and working with reporters on content development, ensuring the content is fair, balanced and compelling, and presented in the optimum format for a digital audience is essential.
- Bachelor's degree in journalism, communications or related field.
- A minimum of one-year experience working with digital media at a news publication or web site.
- Proficient use of technology such as computers and software, iPhones, iPads, and other digital devices.