EF International Language Centres is seeking a friendly, energetic and organized Student Services Coordinator to plan and execute excursions and events and at our English language school in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada. The Student Services department is essential in getting the students involved. The Coordinator will also work closely with the School Director in planning and promoting activities to improve the overall student experience. This is a fantastic opportunity to begin a dynamic and exciting career in international education.
EF Vancouver Island is part of a global network of language schools around the world. With 200+ students from over 25 different countries studying in our Victoria location alone, you are joining a truly diverse and multi-cultural environment as well as a team of passionate professionals dedicated to language learning, travel and cultural exchange.
Reporting to the School Director, the Activities Coordinator wears many different hats throughout the day. The hallmarks of success in this role are communication, flexibility and attention to detail.
Key responsibilities include:
- Planning and executing a variety of student activities on a daily basis appealing to many different demographics (our students are ages 15-25, study 2-52 weeks and hail from 25+ countries). This may include events hosted at the school as well as introducing students to Canadian cultural attractions.
- Constantly marketing and promoting activities to ensure high attendance and strong sales.
- Posting a calendar of activities at least three months in advance.
- Welcoming new customers every Monday morning during weekly student orientation sessions, explaining activity options and sign up process, leading a walking tour to acquaint customers to the area.
- Organizing large, school-wide events and parties along with regular WOW moments – special treats for students such as free giveaways, contests, theme weeks, etc.
- Developing relationships with local businesses and negotiating student discounts.
- Owning the department budget and performing profit/loss calculations on all activities to ensure high profitability. Administer and reconcile daily cash register and credit card transactions.
- Maintaining a detailed inventory of EF branded merchandise and maximizing sales of these items.
- Keeping the school clean and tidy particularly in student lounges, storage rooms and other common areas. Ensure school noticeboards contain neatly arranged, accurate and up-to-date information.
- Managing the school’s social media presence including daily postings to Facebook and Instagram pages; collecting photos of student life at EF Vancouver Island to be used for future promotional materials.
- Driving high levels of customer satisfaction as measured by standardized student evaluations forms; pushing for high evaluation return rates and positive Google/Yelp reviews.
- Serving as “Island Insider” and advising students on “go-on-your-own” activities throughout Vancouver Island & the surrounding area.
- Organizing regular day trips and overnight excursions. Arranging hotels, buses, itineraries and staffing.
- Advising student ambassadors to provide input into activity offerings and foster school spirit.
- Creating and supporting intramural clubs for long term students related to sports, special hobbies or professional/academic interests (i.e. weekly soccer meetup, networking sessions, homework club, etc.).
- Collaborating with academic department to create activities that correlate to students’ academic journey such as assisting teachers with planning local field trips and coordinating academic info fairs.
- Recruiting a team of summer activity leaders to staff activities in peak season; ensure appropriate staffing for all activities year-round.
- Share emergency phone on-call duties with other school staff on rotating basis.
- Assist with other aspects of school administration as needed such as student safety/welfare, facilities, airport greeting, reception, host family recruitment and school sales.
- Being well-versed on British Columbia & Vancouver Island
- Maintaining professionalism with the student while on activities and in the school.
This is an excellent position for the right candidate. Prior experience in hospitality, tourism or customer service is preferred. In addition, candidates must possess:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Amazing presence – the ability to own a room and make people feel right at home as soon as they walk in our doors!
- Strong communication and customer service skills along with the ability to work in a very fast-paced, dynamic environment full of daily surprises.
- Excellent organization and multi-tasking skills plus impeccable attention to detail
- Patience and understanding working with students of all ages and varying English abilities
- Flexibility to quickly adapt to shifting priorities on a regular basis
- A true passion for working across cultures and helping students to discover all that Victoria has to offer.
- Ability to work Monday through Friday, some nights and some weekends
- International travel experience preferred, foreign language abilities not required but a big plus
- Proficient in Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Publisher, Excel)
- Social Media experience a plus
About EF Education First
At EF we believe that the world is better when people try to understand one another. Since 1965, we have helped millions of people see new places, experience new cultures, and learn new things about the world and about themselves. Our culturally immersive education programs—focused on language, travel, cultural exchange, and academics—turn dreams into international opportunities.
When you join EF, you join a multicultural and diverse community working across 600 schools and offices in 50 countries, all with one shared mission of opening the world through education. Whoever you are, whatever you are passionate about—we welcome you and want you to bring that to work every day. EF is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to inclusion and belonging across race, ethnicity, gender identity/expression, sexual orientation, age, religion, ability, parental status, experience, and everything else that makes you unique.
Founded in Sweden in 1965, EF has school and offices around the world, including hubs in Boston, London, Mexico City, São Paulo, Shanghai, Stockholm, Zürich, and more. Learn more at https://ef.com.
EF Education First is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment.