Senior Embedded Developer
Hi. We’re ecobee. We introduced the world’s first smart Wi-Fi thermostat and since then, we’ve helped millions of people transform the way they save money and conserve energy. With each new release, we introduce technology that brings the ease of automation and peace of mind to the home, allowing people to focus on the moments that matter most. We’re proud of what we’ve done so far, but we’re not about to rest with lots more on the go and big things on the horizon for us in 2020!
We're a rapidly growing tech company located in the up-and-coming tech hub on the Toronto waterfront. We look to hire talented people who care deeply about our ever-changing environment and excel in their areas of unique expertise; from software and product development to marketing and sales. We take pride in making a meaningful difference to the environment, all while being part of the exciting connected home revolution!
Who you'll be be joining
Our Embedded Chapter is made up of 20+ Embedded Developers with a wide variety of specialties, skill sets, backgrounds, and experiences. They aim to bring their Embedded experience to the cross-functional squads that they are a part of, with a focus on collaboration, learning, development.
How you'll make an impact
As a Senior Embedded Engineer, you will be responsible for helping develop the software that powers our hardware products. These devices run on a multitude of platforms from small, battery operated microcontrollers to full-blown multicore embedded Linux systems.
The embedded team is in a unique position as we own a wide breadth of the technologies that get built into our devices making each day a unique challenge. You may be working on portions of the low-level software/hardware interactions, but equally important is the development of the user applications that run on device. Everything from network protocols, to control algorithms to building enticing graphic UI’s.
The embedded team is also responsible for developing the test fixtures used to validate the functionality of each device manufactured. These devices are truly products on their own and no less complex considering the hardware and software systems they must interface with.
Aside from the in-house technologies, the embedded team is often also responsible for integrating third-party services. For example, we developed the device software stack that allowed us to become one of the first Apple HomeKit accessories on the market as well as more recently one of the first third parties to integrate Amazon Voice Services for Alexa functionality built right into a thermostat.
To accomplish all of this, at any given time you may be working closely with developers from other teams as well as our QA, Product Management, Manufacturing, Hardware teams and third-party tech companies on integrations.
What you'll bring to the table
We've built the following list as a guideline for some of the skills and interests we've seen in Embedded Systems Development - but we strive to build our team with members from a diverse background and skill set, so if any combination of these apply to you we'd love to chat!
- C/C++ development experience
- Object-oriented design and coding skills with knowledge of data structures and design patterns
- Multi-threaded design and coding practices
- Knowledge of ARM architecture-based processors and development tools
- GUI development
- Aptitude in programming for reliability and testability
- Knowledge of Home Automation, Control Systems or Internet of Things
- Knowledge of embedded Linux systems
What we'll bring to the table
- The opportunity to work in a fresh, dynamic, and ever-growing industry that is the SmartHome and IoT space
- The visibility into a company that has an interesting mix of hardware and software consumer-facing businesses
- The ability to make an environmental impact, both in your day job and outside the 9-5 with programs like ecobee acts!
- Opportunities to learn and grow with our in-house learning enablement team, #ThinkLab and a generous professional learning budget
- A progressive Parental Top-Up Program (75% top up or 5 bonus days off) for all full-time employees taking Parental Leave
- Stock in the company as we approach #1 in the Smart Home industry!
Convinced you’ll be able to make an impact? We’d love to hear from you.
ecobee believes all people have equal value and we are committed to providing a safe space for everyone. We welcome all applicants with diverse races, genders, ages, religions, identities, experiences, etc. and we will provide accommodation to all applicants throughout our hiring process.
Please note, ecobee does not accept unsolicited resumes.
Back to top