About City of Hope
City of Hope, an innovative biomedical research, treatment and educational institution with over 6,000 employees, is dedicated to the prevention and cure of cancer and other life-threatening diseases and guided by a compassionate, patient-centered philosophy.
Founded in 1913 and headquartered in Duarte, California, City of Hope is a remarkable non-profit institution, where compassion and advanced care go hand-in-hand with excellence in clinical and scientific research. City of Hope is a National Cancer Institute designated Comprehensive Cancer Center and a founding member of the National Comprehensive Cancer Network, an alliance of the nation's leading cancer centers that develops and institutes standards of care for cancer treatment.
The Williams lab is looking for a Postdoctoral Fellow interested in seeing their efforts translated to the clinic to treat cancer and diabetic patients. The position involves an atoms-up approach to design novel biologics to mitigate on-target, off-tissue toxicities and improve their therapeutic efficacy. The requisite research includes the application of structural biology, computation, biophysics, in vitro and in vivo assays while communicating and coordinating these efforts with the rest of the team and clinicians at City of Hope focusing on immediate clinical needs. The successful candidate will be deeply involved through all aspects of this bench-to-bedside approach.
The Williams lab is equipment with state-of-the-art instruments including multiple incubators, biosafety cabinets, multiple FPLCs (including a new Biorad NGC FPLC - automating the purification of dozens of molecules per day), an Agilent HPLC, Biacore T200, Waters nanoITC, Beckman XLI, Mosquito crystallization robot, Formulatrix imagers, and a Rigaku 007HF diffractometer. A new Sony SH800 cell sorter is also located in the lab to further drive these efforts using novel display libraries developed in-house. In addition, the successful candidate will have access to 27 core facilities across the campus.
Basic education, experience and skills required for consideration:
- PhD in chemistry, biochemistry, protein chemistry, biochemical engineering or related field with 1 to 3 years of postdoctoral experience
- Experience with protein expression and purification
- Fully versed in protein purification methods (Affinity, SEC, IEX), analysis (e.g., SDS-PAGE)
- Experience with cell culture (E. coli and CHO a must, yeast and insect desirable). Experience with SPR and other biophysical methods desirable
- Protein engineering, production, purification in CHO
- Biophysical characterization (SPR, ITC, AUC, CD)
- X-ray Crystallography
- Assay development, interpretation, and troubleshooting
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Good problem-solving skills
- Ability to conduct independent research
- Ability to supervise others and work effectively in a team
- Enzymology experience a plus
- CryoEM experience a plus
City of Hope is a world leader in translational medicine, including synthesis of first synthetic gene, humanization of monoclonal antibodies and pioneering work in CAR T cells. These discoveries have led to some of the most important therapeutics in world including recombinant insulin for maintenance of type 2 diabetes and Rituxan, Herceptin, Avastin, etc. for the treatment of cancer. Building off these successes, City of Hope houses three FDA approved GMP facilities along with its 27 core facilities to rapidly advance discoveries.
- For more information about Dr. Williams' research, please click here .
- To protect the health of patients and staff and to comply with new State of California mandates, City of Hope staff are required to show proof of full vaccination by September 30, 2021. Compliance is a condition of employment.
City of Hope is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
- Posting Date: Dec 20, 2021
- Job Field: Research
- Employee Status: Regular
- Shift: Day Job