Senior/Staff Server Engineer - Astro Technology
We’re Astro, a startup in Palo Alto, bringing artificial intelligence to workplace communications, starting with email. We recently launched our intelligent email apps for Mac, iOS and Android, and added integrations with Slack and Amazon Alexa. We invite you to signup at www.helloastro.com, the iOS App Store, and Google Play Store, and check out our Slack integration in the Slack App Directory (https://astrotechnology.slack.com/apps/A4TP4NR34-astrobot), and our Amazon Alexa integration in the Alexa Skill Store.
Our launch received very positive response from users, https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/astro-email-meets-ai-for-gmail-and-office-365/id1076356487?mt=8, and extensive press coverage, http://bit.ly/2nLRIPR.
We also announced having raised a ~$10M Series A led by Redpoint Ventures and joined by Aspect Ventures, Harrison Metal, and Upside Partnership.
Our founding team has worked together at various companies as co-founders, VP of engineering, chief architect and founding engineers, with multiple successful outcomes. Our experience ranges from founding breakthrough startups, to Google, LinkedIn, VMware, Cisco, Zimbra and Asana.
We seek a senior server engineering team member, experienced in Java, with a broad range of backend skills, including ideally expertise or interest in search, data science, sync or messaging technologies.
We’re an equal opportunity employer and welcome applicants of diverse backgrounds and experiences.
Example responsibilities might include:
- Build high performance, reliable & scalable features to be deployed to millions of users
- Design & implement algorithms for prioritization of information based on relevance to individual users of our apps
- Develop & publish APIs for integrating our application with 3rd party apps
- Develop & implement tests for ensuring the quality, performance & scalability of our application
- Investigate & develop implementations of AI into our apps
Relevant skills & experience would include some or all of the following:
- Strong command of computer science fundamentals including programming languages, data structures and algorithms
- 2+ years of industry experience
- Amazon Web Services eco-system: EC2, S3, RDS, DynamoDB
- Strong engineering and coding skills. Experience in Java, C++, Python, Scala or other equivalent languages.
- Experience with MapReduce, Spark and Hive a plus.
- Strong industry experience in architecture and development of scalable production quality backend systems
- Good understanding of distributed systems, data stores, data modeling, indexing and associated trade-offs
- A very high commitment to quality, collaboration with colleagues, and conveying a positive attitude
- As a first step in our process, we ask you to take a 90 minutes HackerRank coding exercise
The startups in which we've been co-founders and founding engineers have had several successful outcomes, such as multiple acquisitions ranging from $100M to $850M. Along with those startups (or as a result of them) we've also worked at Google, VMware, LinkedIn, Cisco, and Stanford University.
The sponsoring partner who led our A Round, Satish Dharmaraj of Redpoint Ventures, is also a successful founder (having founded and sold an enterprise software company for $350M) an accomplished engineering leader, and passionately engaged in our vision.
PS: you can download our iOS app from the iOS App Store at https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/astro-email-meets-ai-for-gmail-and-office-365/id1076356487, our Mac app from our homepage, www.helloastro.com, and our Android app from https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.helloastro.android&hl=en
Back to top