Senior Inland Marine Underwriter
- New York, NY
Argo Group, through its operating subsidiaries, offers high-quality Commercial Property and Casualty (P&C) insurance products and services tailored to the needs of businesses and public entities.
We are looking for a highly capable Senior Inland Marine Underwriter to join our team and work from our New York City (NY) office or as a home-based employee in that region. The Senior Underwriter will support the New York Metropolitan Region and grow our Inland Marine business profitably with Wholesale and Retail distribution partners through effective underwriting of new business and renewals according to authority level and established guidelines, participate in special projects, and provide mentoring for less experienced staff. This position reports to the SVP, Head of Argo Marine.
The primary duties and responsibilities of the role are:
- Meet the stated financial objectives around growth and profitability for an Inland marine portfolio
- Create relationships with our customers and deliver our products and capabilities to help grow our share of wallet
- Solicit risk opportunities, evaluate the exposures and price to acceptable profit expectations based upon company underwriting guidelines and granted underwriting authority.
- Own the portfolio and take necessary underwriting and broker actions on the book of business in accordance with guidance provided by the segment.
- Partner with Account Manager on new and renewal processes and appropriate servicing of accounts during their life span.
- Resolve premium audit disputes within assigned territory.
- Utilize underwriting tools to determine accurate classifications, rates, and premium charges.
- Review state laws, including cancellation and non-renewal, within assigned territory to properly transact business within the state.
- Consult with general agents/brokers to obtain further information, quote rates, or explain underwriting guidelines.
- Create, analyze, and interpret data from various reports.
- Manage assigned underwriting territory, including management of agents; build a pipeline of opportunities to meet new business objectives and retention of profitable accounts and establish appropriate visibility with our business partners.
- Be innovative, share ideas and help the team whenever possible or if you are called upon
- Other duties as assigned.
Core qualifications and requirements for this position include:
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited university required or seven year to ten years related insurance experience and/or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Five or more years' related underwriting experience required.
- At least three years' experience in Inland Marine with authority preferred.
- Experience with Wholesale and Retail distribution with a proven track record in growth and profitability.
- Demonstrates an understanding and ability to effectively engage in the negotiation process.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Adept at risk selection, exposure evaluation and ability to rate, quote and sell admitted and non-admitted solutions for Marine lines of business.
- Familiarity with AAIS Forms and Inland Marine coverages.
- Advanced knowledge of computer programs, including Word, Excel, and Outlook.
In addition, you'll want to make sure you embody our core values as they are how we get the job done:
- The entrepreneurial spirit
- Doing the right thing
- Respecting each other
We offer our employees:
- An attractive Total Rewards package that includes:
- Base pay and profit sharing.
- Comprehensive benefits designed to protect and enhance your life and your dependents' lives by way of health and wellness plans, life insurance, a matching 401(k) Plan, generous PTO, Paid Caregiver Leave, Paid Parental Leave (up to 12 weeks and an opportunity to become a shareholder at a 15% discount.
- Argo Academy, a digital and instructor-led platform that helps us focus on continuous learning and which got us named in Training magazine as one of the Training Top 125 Companies.
- Opportunities to support your local community though various outreach programs or by matching your gift to charitable causes by 150%.
- A lucrative Employee Referral program that resulted in 30% of all new hires last year.
- Flexible Work Arrangements that include Compressed Hours, Flextime, Job-Sharing, Part-Time and Remote or Home Working, Sabbatical Leave and Summer Hours that give our employees the balance they need to excel at their jobs.
About Argo Group
- We have a very flat organizational structure, enabling our employees have more interaction with our senior management team, especially when it relates to reviewing large losses.
- We believe in building an inclusive and diverse team, and we strive to make our office a welcoming space for everyone. We encourage talented people from all backgrounds to apply.
PLEASE NOTE: At this time, Argo Group will not sponsor an applicant for employment authorization for this position.
If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or a similar law and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at Argo Group, please contact our Benefits Department at 210-321-8400.
To all recruitment agencies: Unless you have been requested to work on this position, or other positions with Argo Group, please do not forward any resumes to Argo Group employees. Argo Group is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin or citizenship (including language use restrictions), denial of family and medical care leave, disability (mental and physical) , including HIV and AIDS, medical condition (including cancer and genetic characteristics), race, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), sex (including pregnancy, child birth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, child birth or breastfeeding), sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or other status protected by federal, state and/or local laws.
Applicants: For the most convenient application experience, please use the "Apply with LinkedIn" button. If manually entering, only include your most recent or relevant job information needed for this role. For either method, please attach your most current resume. Additional job history may be obtained if selected for the interview process.
Back to top