Position: Kitchen Technician
Supervisor: Executive Chef
Division: Hospitality Division
FLSA Status (Classification): Exempt - Salaried (Administrative)
The Kitchen Technician is responsible for the day-to-day maintenance of the kitchen including cleanliness of the environment, dishware, glassware, etc. The Kitchen "Tech" assumes the autonomous role of keeping cookware and dishware clean and organized to ensure an efficiently run back of house of operation. Other duties include stocking kitchen items, and providing overall operational support as needed. The Kitchen Technician is a fast paced position that's essential for the kitchen to operate at the desired level.
Daily Duties, Functions, Responsibilities
- Load, run and unload dish machine
- Keep the dish machine clean and report any functional or mechanical problems immediately.
- Monitor dish machine water temperature to ensure sanitary wash cycle.
- Wash and store all tableware and kitchenware.
- Keep dishroom clean and organized
- Works with front of house staff/management to ensure dishware/tableware supply levels are sufficient
- Maintain adequate levels of clean tableware for dining room and kitchen
- Bag and haul dishroom trash to dumpster at designed times
- Handle tableware carefully to prevent breakage and loss.
- Maintain adequate levels of dish detergents and cleaning supplies.
- Clean food preparation and production areas as required.
- Be available to fill in as needed to ensure the smooth and efficient operation of the restaurant as directed by the Restaurant Manager or immediate supervisor.
- Any and all other cleaning/organizational tasks required.
- Empty trash receptacles and properly haul to dumpsters.
- Help maintain clean floor areas in kitchen area (including walk-in cooler and freezer).
- Assist in properly stocking any deliveries.
- Assist in any or all nightly cleaning duties.
- Perform any task requested/required by chef or appropriate kitchen supervisor.
- Other duties as assigned.
Physical Conditions and Nature of Work Contacts
- Regular contacts are made with individuals from within the Back of House and Front of House divisions
- Communication is usually cooperative in nature.
- Work takes place in hot, wet, humid, and loud environment for long periods.
- Lifting up to 60 pounds repetitively.
- Conducts work in a standing position; job requires frequent standing, walking, bending, stooping and lifting.
- Requires frequent operation of a variety of kitchen machine/equipment.
- Requires the ability to manipulate large quantities of food, dishware, cookware, etc. with hands.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Minimal knowledge of food and beverage industry - back of house operations
- Ability to manage personal responsibilities in a high-stress, fast-paced working environment
- Ability to use multiple items/pieces of equipment in the kitchen.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
Education and Experience
- Restaurant experience preferred.
- Virginia Drivers License