- Roanoke, VA
The brewer operates both our 30-barrel and 120-barrel automated brewing systems. Aspects of this system includes milling, mashing, lautering, boiling, hop additions, whirlpool, and wort cooling. In addition, the brewer is responsible for pre- and post cleaning and sanitation of all transfer lines and vessels. The brewer also is responsible for cellar tasks including, but not limited to, yeast pitching, filtration, beer transfers, tank CIPs, various fermentation additions, maintenance of parts and hoses, and the filling of casks and firkins. The brewer works 12-hour shifts, and work may include 24/7 hours. The brewer is expected to be punctual, self-motivated, and contribute within a teamwork environment. Once eligible for growth, this position may evolve into a Senior Brewer status, rewarding proficiency.
Daily Duties, Functions, Responsibilities
- Work closely with brewing team to achieve desired quality and production targets;
- Complete assigned tasks in accordance with company standard operating procedures and guidelines (SOP/SOG).
- Follow all safety procedures.
- Keep accurate inventory and quality management of raw materials and chemicals.
- Periodic handling of hazardous chemicals.
- Keep accurate daily production records per company and Federal Requirements.
- Continually maintain all beer production areas including equipment - ( mill room, brewhouse, fermentation, and filtration, spent grain area, bulk grain and grain storage area, as well as all walkways and driveways around or leading too brewhouse and cellar).
- Assist maintenance technicians with equipment maintenance and repairs.
- Follow daily and weekly cleaning schedules to maintain a clean working environment.
- Attend production meetings and contribute to product improvement.
- Operate and monitor electronic and computerized brew systems.
- Represent Devils Backbone Brewing Company at beer festivals.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Involves frequent walking, lifting, and carrying objects weighing 50lbs routinely, occasional lifting of 100-150lbs.
- Must be able to work with fitted face respirator (provided) for periods not to exceed 30-minutes.
- Frequent use of latches, hand tools, clamps, hoses, etc., requiring manipulative skills and hand-eye coordination.
- Exposes employee to potentially minor injuries.
- Regular contact with production employees and management, as well as periodic, but consistent, customer interaction.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- General knowledge of practices, methods, tools, and equipment used in production and pub-style brewing.
- General knowledge of occupational hazards and necessary safety precautions associated with work.
- Ability to interpret technical bulletins and schematics on equipment related to work.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Minimum of two years of brewing experience as assistant brewer or brewer.
- Professional brewing certificate preferred.
- High school diploma.
- Must be 21-years of age.
So to satisfy their thirst for a local haunt that served craft European-style beers, they started a whole brewery complete with a full-on brewpub for locals and visitors. It became a place where folks could drink and tell stories about their time on the trail or ski slope, or all of the above.
They named it Devils Backbone, the same name some brave surveyors, including Thomas Jefferson's dad, Peter, called this hard-to-summit mountain region almost 300 years ago. Kinda poetic, right?
Well there's your history, and here's a bit of our philosophy: we think being slow by nature is of mighty importance. It's why we take our time brewing our lagers and it's why we're smack dab in the middle of the Blue Ridge Mountains.
Back to top