Here’s something scary: Only 30% of professionals feel engaged at work (just three out of 10!). Considering the fact that you spend about one-third of your adult life working, shouldn’t you be enjoying your time at the office?
Just because your boss isn’t catching on doesn’t mean you should be sitting there miserable at your desk. Next time you find yourself feeling unmotivated in the office, here are nine things to try to instantly brighten your mood.
- Making someone else’s day can help you feel a whole lot better. Take five minutes to show someone in the office that you appreciate them. (Tiny Buddha)
- As the old saying (kind of) goes, “Happy desk, happy life.” Okay, not really, but decorating your desk at work can boost your mood! (Refinery29)
- Take a break from your cubicle and get to know your co-workers. Studies have found that having friends at work can make your job seem way more enjoyable, and having a couple buddies to head to lunch with doesn’t hurt, either. (HBR)
- Feeling fatigued? Stand up and head to the water cooler. H2O is great for you for so many reasons, not to mention rehydrating can boost your mood in a jiffy. (Greatist)
- Research shows that setting work goals can give you a sense of purpose, so take time to reflect on your current role and what you’d like to achieve. (Forbes)
- Feeling stuck? Find a new skill you want to learn and start planning how you’re going to do it! (Lifehacker)
- One thing that holds many professionals back is negativity over things they can’t control. Reflect on these 13 beliefs to start letting go of that dark energy. (Marc and Angel)
- There is such a thing as a productive break, so once you learn the science behind stepping away from your desk, there will be nothing standing in your way. (Buffer)
- Whether it’s Metallica or Mozart, music can have a gigantic impact on your mood and work habits. (The Daily Muse)