10 Actually Fun Ways to Boost Your Career This Summer
It’s the unofficial beginning of the summer—the season for taking it easy, taking vacations, and taking advantage of long, sunny days. And, well, for the whole working world to slow down a bit.
So, you should slow down, too, right? Well yes—and no.
While you should certainly enjoy the best that summer has to offer, and you don’t want to work yourself ragged, you also don’t want to miss out on major career opportunities (think: that promotion you’ve been working so hard to get) because you’re lounging around wishing you were at the beach.
Luckily, when it comes to summer at work, you can have your cake (or margarita) and eat it, too. Here are a few ways to boost your career this summer—all while making the most of the season.
- Take a co-worker you’d like to get to know better out to lunch (somewhere outside, obvs)—hey, if it’s work-related, you can get away with rolling in a few minutes late.
- Offer to plan the office summer picnic or BBQ. You’ll look like a born leader and you’ll get out of the office for several hours on a sunny Friday.
- Start a career-related book club with your co-workers. Pick one book (here are a few suggestions) each month, then discuss it over a long lunch or post-work happy hour.
- Pick up a hobby you’ve been wanting to try. Even if it’s something totally non-work-related—think sailing, volleyball, or becoming a grilling master—it’ll actually help you get ahead at the office.
- Have a brainstorm or catch-up meeting with your boss on the calendar? Get outside of your stuffy office and try a walking meeting instead. It’ll get you both outside (and probably thinking outside the box).
- If you haven’t joined a professional organization or gotten involved with your alumni association yet, now’s the time: They’re bound to have plenty of summertime events you can enjoy.
- Have a big project you really need to crank out? Ask to work from home for a week (or better yet, go on a workcation). You’ll have the uninterrupted time and head space you need to get it done—and you’ll come back with a tan.
- You might not have a beautiful view from your office, but you can get one on your screen: Download Momentum, which will start every browsing session with a beautiful photo of an exotic locale and a prompt that’ll boost your motivation for the day.
- Make a pact with yourself to leave work on time all summer long—which will force you to be super-efficient during the day (brownie points) and make sure you’re not spending the daylight hours indoors. (Also, as we recently learned, going above and beyond doesn’t help you out that much.)
- Better yet, make a pact with yourself to be happier at work. (Hey, not having the Sunday blues will make your summer weekends that much better.) Sign up for our free, email-based “Be Happier at Work” class for tips that you can implement this week. (Rather be doing something else entirely? Try a few of 50 Ways to Get a Job’s totally fun job search activities.)
Photo of sunny day courtesy of Shutterstock.
Scott Dockweiler crafts witty headlines, writes fun articles, and generally lends a hand to the editorial team at The Daily Muse. When he’s not Musing, he’s trying to get his acting career off the ground and racking up Delta Airlines frequent flier miles between NYC and LA. You won’t find him on Twitter—yet.More from this Author