ABOUT VICE MEDIA GROUP
VICE Media Group is the world’s largest independent youth media company. Launched in 1994, VICE has offices in 35 cities across the globe with a focus on five key businesses: VICE.com, an award-winning international network of digital content; VICE STUDIOS, a feature film and television production studio; VICE TV, an Emmy-winning international television network; a Peabody award-winning NEWS division with the most Emmy-awarded nightly news broadcast; and VIRTUE, a global, full-service creative agency with 25 offices around the world. VICE Media Group’s portfolio includes Refinery29, the leading global media and entertainment company focused on women; PULSE Films, a London-based next-generation production studio with outposts in Los Angeles, New York, Paris and Berlin; i-D, a global digital and bimonthly magazine defining fashion and contemporary culture; and Garage, a digital platform and biannual publication converging the worlds of art and design.
VICE Media Group’s portfolio includes Refinery29, the leading global media and entertainment company focused on women; PULSE Films, a London-based next-generation production studio with outposts in Los Angeles, New York, Paris and Berlin; i-D, a global digital and bimonthly magazine defining fashion and contemporary culture; and Garage, a digital platform and biannual publication converging the worlds of art and design.
Role x You
You have a deep commitment and passion for the mission of R29 to motivate and inspire women through their own unique power, identity, and infinite potential. You have a deep knowledge and/or interest in women’s storytelling and reporting, as well as its distinct power to inform and drive conversation & change. You ignite possibility and solutions in even the most challenging moments, and you have an innate desire to strive for excellence and progress, through your daily work and your attitude.
Check out our creative team’s work here: http://www.creative.r29.com/
- Function as primary designer on assigned projects managing the design from Kickoff meetings through conception, execution and delivery.
- Collaborate with Art Director and Design Director and execute excellent designs that translate the attitude and value of the R29 brand across all lines of business. Demonstrating ability to take direction and constructive criticism.
- Collaborate with other designers and mentor entry level designers and interns.
- Work enthusiastically, respectfully and collaboratively within the creative department as well as other departments within the company.
- Generate multiple design explorations and iterate designs to the satisfaction of lead. As well as work autonomously.
- Attend project kick-offs brainstorms and conceptualize relevant content that reflects Refinery29’s mission of being the catalyst for women to see, feel and claim their power.
- Translate creative strategy into a visual language that supports Refinery29’s mission and values. Possesses a commitment to nurture and embody inspiration and a desire to push the boundaries in design and maintain brand consistency throughout all projects.
- Present creative work with a strong ability to communicate your creative process, thoughts, ideas and connection to the brief.
- Work on various types of projects, including: editorial content, branded content, branding projects, and experiential.
- Stay current with contemporary design and technology trends.
- Create reusable assets and templates to facilitate and reduce production times.
- Work with the design and photo team to create and evolve style guides that set the stage for R29.
- Manage and prioritize work effectively, and proactively escalate conflicts with workloads. Ensure that internal deadlines, timetables and approval procedures are adhered to for assigned project phases.
- Manage process of sourcing and working with outside artists and illustrators.
You have these:
- Excellent Design skills, with a strong balance of identity, typography, layout, and illustration design skills.
- Experience working at a branding agency, with solid identity and branding design work.
- Excellent leadership skills.
- Strong aesthetic skills with an eye for colors, fonts and layouts.
- Print production understanding.
- Ability to mentor junior team members
- Passion for current design trends, illustration and be able to work with outsourced artists
- Be immersed and knowledgeable in design culture, current and past.
- Open, positive and collaborative communication style
- Ability to handle multiple projects at the same time
- Deep knowledge of and familiarity with Adobe Creative Cloud Products (Photoshop, Illustrator, etc., InDesign) (Keynote and Powerpoint familiarity is a plus).
- Strong desire to develop creatively and push the R29 visual brand forward
- Ability to illustrate is ideal
For consideration, you must submit your resume and link to your online portfolio. Applications submitted without a portfolio will not be considered.
Working at VICE
VICE prioritizes the ideas and people that other media companies miss. We believe that innovation is a direct result of diverse, inclusive cultures so we don’t just “tolerate” differences, we celebrate it and see it as essential to our staff, culture, and business. To learn more read the VICE Guide to VICE
Agencies: VICE Media Group is not partnering with agencies nor accepts unsolicited resumes and will not be responsible for any fees or expenses related to such unsolicited resumes and/or applicants.