VICE World News is looking for an outstanding Managing Editor who will serve as deputy to the Executive Editor on the VWN team in EMEA.
A vital leadership position on the desk, the Managing Editor will have day-to-day oversight on daily schedules and help manage a team of reporters, editors, and freelancers.
The right person for this role has a background in editing or reporting international stories, principally concerning the EMEA region.
The Managing Editor will report to the Executive Editor in London. Due to the COVID pandemic we are currently working from home until restrictions ease. You will also work closely with other newsroom leaders, including editorial, digital video, audience, and TV.
Roles and responsibilities:
- Editing a wide range of stories, from deeply-reported investigations and scoops to daily and quick hits
- Oversee editors and writers – staff and freelance – in conceiving and sharpening pitches
- Help editors with packaging and formatting decisions
- Work with the Executive Editor and other newsroom leaders to achieve the vision for VICE World News and the overall digital news operation
- Play a supportive role in operational and administrative management, including daily schedules and freelance budgets
- At least five years proven experience editing and leading teams in a fast turnaround, deadline-driven environment
- A working knowledge of the media landscape and our competitors, in order to help differentiate us from the pack
- Previous experience managing and mentoring staff writers
- Strong editing skills and an acute attention to detail, including proven ability to work with the most sensitive investigations and scoops
VICE Media Group is the world’s largest independent youth media company. Launched in 1994, VICE has offices in 35 cities across the globe with a focus on five key businesses: VICE.com, an award-winning international network of digital content; VICE STUDIOS, a feature film and television production studio; VICE, an Emmy-winning international television network; a Peabody award-winning NEWS division with the most Emmy-awarded nightly news broadcast; and VIRTUE, a global, full-service creative agency with 21 offices around the world. VICE's content has been recognized by the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences, Peabodys, Golden Globes, Sundance Film Festival, George Polk, Scripps Howard, PEN Center, Cannes Lions, Knight Foundation, American Society of Magazine Editors, LA Press Club, James Beard and Webbys, among others.
VICE Media Group’s portfolio includes Refinery29, the leading global media and entertainment company focused on women; PULSE Films, a London-based next-generation production studio with outposts in Los Angeles, New York, Paris and Berlin; i-D, a global digital and bimonthly magazine defining fashion and contemporary culture; and Garage, a digital platform and biannual publication converging the worlds of art and design.