Title: Korean Transcreator
Contract: 6 months, subject to renewal
Reports to: Korea Editor
The role calls for someone who has comprehensive knowledge of their source and target languages, which in this case is English and Korean. You must be well-versed in linguistics because this role requires you to construct neat sentences using proper grammar. It’s also important for you to be able to produce clear translations that readers can easily understand. You have to make the translated stories sound natural without losing the context and tone of the source text.
Translation, Localization, Content Writing, Proofreading, Fact-Checking, Editing
What you'll do:
- Manage two-way translation from English to Korean and vice versa for VICE APAC editorial, video and social teams, which includes translation of editorial articles, video metadata, in-video copy, social media posts, and other content.
This includes a minimum translation output of:
- Translate 1-2 articles to Korean daily, up to 10,000 characters per day.
- Translate 2 videos to Korean monthly, up to 30 minutes duration.
- Work closely with the editorial team to ensure that English articles selected for translation are relevant to a Korean audience.
- Read each article thoroughly before translating to grasp the main idea, and rewrite and localize parts of the translation if necessary.
- Proofread and edit translated materials from vendors and freelancers to ensure high quality output that is free of punctuation errors, typos, and other mistakes.
- Post translated articles on the VICE site CMS and other platforms like 1boon, and work with the socials manager to effectively promote content on social channels.
- Occasionally write original articles.
- Other research and administrative tasks to support and ensure the smooth operation.
What you possess:
- Native fluency in Korean and near-native fluency in English
- Well connected with Korean culture
- 2-3 years of experience in translation, localization, and content writing.
- Knowledge of media, news reporting, and social media is a plus.
- Experience working with cross-functional and collaborative content teams is a plus.
※ Apply if you think you’re a good match. Send your English CV and cover letter to email@example.com with the header ‘Korean Transcreator Application’.