About the job:
Refinery29 Fashion celebrates the power of personal style and how it aids people in discovering their own unique sense of identity. Neither fashion nor style are prescriptive at Refinery29 — instead, we believe personal style is a tool for fostering confidence, self-expression, and influence.
Refinery29 UK is looking for a smart and passionate Fashion Editor to build on the powerful foundation the brand has established when it comes to fashion as it relates to personal style, self expression, shopping, trend spotting/analysis, subcultures, cultural commentary, influence, innovation, and inclusivity. In this role, you’ll aim to deliver well-reported, voicey, quality storytelling — via daily news posts, features, columns, personal essays, trend pieces, second-day takes, and high-impact content packages — that engages and grows the audience, pushes the conversation forward, and develops R29’s singular voice, authority, and thought leadership in the space. You are as adept at shaping ledes and headlines as you are at conceptualising big, brand-defining fashion moments and tentpoles, and you have ideas and a point of view on how to shape fashion coverage that could only come from Refinery29. You have an expert understanding of how to run an editorial calendar, package stories for success across channels, meet audience growth goals, and partner with the revenue team when necessary.
As a candidate, you instinctually see style through a 360-degree lens, always thinking about how it directly relates to pop culture, politics, art, and the world around us. You are optimistic, driven, and are a generous collaborator, always eager to make a story stronger and more impactful.
What you'll do:
- Work closely with the Head of Content to conceive and produce exceptional, cutting-edge fashion content, that is witty, voicey, stylish, shareable, and new on a daily basis.
- Conceptualise, pitch, and execute forward-thinking and disruptive features, photo shoots, and content packages that ensure R29 continues to lead in the fashion space.
- Work with the content strategy, social media, and audience development teams to ensure the section meets monthly production and traffic goals.
- Commission and edit our network of freelance fashion writers.
- Work closely with partnering brands to help create the most innovative brand work in the business. Occasionally attend brand meetings.
- Represent R29 at events and panels where necessary.
- Ensure that all Refinery29 content is inclusive when it comes to race, ethnicity, size, income, and ability.
- Communicate and collaborate with the fashion team in R29’s New York office.
- Be comfortable in front of a camera, occasionally appearing in videos and shoots.
What you have:
- Big ideas!
- 3+ years relevant experience at a publication or digital media company.
- Clear understanding of SEO and audience development strategies and best practices.
- A positive, proactive, collaborative mindset, and drive to push content to the next level.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Superior judgment and discretion.
- An unparalleled knowledge of the fashion industry, great contacts with influencers, writers, photographers, stylists and PRs.
To be successful here you are:
- Comfortable working as part of a fast-paced, high volume team
- Someone who enjoys problem-solving in an ever-changing environment
- Inspired to push boundaries
- Aware that sometimes you will need to work weekends and off-hours depending on breaking news, the news cycle for your beat, and industry events.
Working at VMG
VMG prioritises the ideas and people that other media companies miss. We believe that innovation is a direct result of diverse, inclusive cultures and see it as essential to our staff, culture and business. To learn more read the VICE GUIDE TO VICE.
Equal Employment Opportunities
VMG is proud to be an equal opportunity employer that strives to create and maintain a workplace that celebrates inclusion and diversity. At VMG, we understand that inclusion and diversity are major benefits to our employees, our readers and viewers, and our company culture.
VMG requires that all employees have proper authorisation to work in the UK. Should an applicant require employment sponsorship, VMG will determine, in its sole discretion, whether such sponsorship will be provided.