ABOUT VICE MEDIA GROUP
VICE Media Group is the world’s largest independent youth media company. Launched in 1994, VICE has offices in 35 cities across the globe with a focus on five key businesses: VICE.com, an award-winning international network of digital content; VICE STUDIOS, a feature film and television production studio; VICE TV, an Emmy-winning international television network; a Peabody award-winning NEWS division with the most Emmy-awarded nightly news broadcast; and VIRTUE, a global, full-service creative agency with 25 offices around the world. VICE Media Group’s portfolio includes Refinery29, the leading global media and entertainment company focused on women; PULSE Films, a London-based next-generation production studio with outposts in Los Angeles, New York, Paris and Berlin; i-D, a global digital and bimonthly magazine defining fashion and contemporary culture; and Garage, a digital platform and biannual publication converging the worlds of art and design.
VICE Media Group’s portfolio includes Refinery29, the leading global media and entertainment company focused on women; PULSE Films, a London-based next-generation production studio with outposts in Los Angeles, New York, Paris and Berlin; i-D, a global digital and bimonthly magazine defining fashion and contemporary culture; and Garage, a digital platform and biannual publication converging the worlds of art and design.
VICE x Team:
The HRBP for the Global Production Services, Studios, and Pulse US divisions of VICE will work closely with the global People, Culture and Impact group, referred to functionally as HR, and global line of business senior leadership to provide strategic HR leadership and day-to-day oversight of the client groups. This role is also the HR lead for the Los Angeles, CA offices.
Role x You
VICE seeks an experienced, pragmatic, and hands-on HR generalist who has significant strategic business partner experience, deep subject matter knowledge, and effective communication and interpersonal skills to enable them to successfully manage a broad spectrum of general HR and talent management issues and projects. The HRBP will report directly to the SVP, HR for the Americas and will collaborate closely with global HRBP colleagues and the global COE groups.
In the short term you’ll be learning the ropes of how HR works at VICE, what the various departments and leaders do, and building relationships. There will be existing global initiatives that you will jump into and start making an immediate impact.
But after 6 months in this role you will hit your stride, have established strong trusting relationships, and be able to strategically support your assigned client groups. You will continue to learn and grow and apply your HR chops to the VICE business needs
And after a year you’ll be the trusted advisor for your business leads and be able to take a true holistic view of your client groups, how they fit into the Vice business and be able to proactively anticipate people issues and opportunities and develop pragmatic real-world solutions.
- Act as a single point of contact for managers and employees in the assigned business units, providing true HR business partnership, coaching and feedback
- Lead, manage, and execute organization design efforts and help to create and execute a talent management strategy across the client groups and help to lead change management projects
- Provide guidance and proactive input on business unit restructures, workforce planning, and succession planning
- Build a strong, trusted business relationship with the leaders and managers of the business groups
- Work closely with Legal to manage and resolve complex employee relations issues (and when necessary, conduct thorough and objective investigations)
- Partner with leaders to proactively support the delivery of HR processes and initiatives
- Manage complex HR projects cross-functionally, across multiple departments within your assigned business units
- Act as the performance improvement driver and provoke positive changes in talent management
- Analyze trends and metrics in partnership with leadership and COEs to support the development of solutions, programs, and policies
- Challenge the organizational structure of the group and propose positive changes that help drive business results
- Liaise with Talent Acquisition to ensure that recruiting needs are being met
- Assist with the effective onboarding and offboarding of employees
- Participate in or support union negotiations and work with internal partners to resolve union grievances
- Stay up to date on and enforce California and Los Angeles labor laws in partnership with our in house employment counsel
- Work with local Office Operations Lead on physical office logistics (seating arrangements, COVID-19 safety, furniture moves, etc) on an as needed basis
- Assist in managing visas and immigration issues
- Jointly manage an HR Generalist
You have these…..
- 8+ years of well-rounded strategic HR business partner experience
- Previous experience in production/creative/advertising agencies preferred, but not required
- A pragmatic, hands-on approach to solve complex issues in a constantly evolving, fast paced and lean environment
- Goal-oriented and comfortable with ambiguity, and able to prioritize in a lean, dynamic, fast-paced environment
- Experience working as part of a global matrixed organization and partnering with CoEs
- Demonstrated ability to drive large-scale cultural change efforts in well-regarded companies, while partnering with key stakeholders
- Ability to influence and articulate a variety of issues to different audiences, tailoring messages accordingly
- Analytical and creative; ability to create a business narrative out of data and capable of flexing solutions to changing demands
- Unwavering integrity and the managerial courage to effectively challenge leaders and/or norms
- Demonstrated ability to coach and counsel leaders to drive their business groups
We’d love if you also have these:
- SPHR/SHRM-SCP or similar industry qualification/accreditation a plus but not required
- Good knowledge base of employment regulations and labor laws and strong working knowledge of CA specific labor laws
- Strong business and financial acumen and global mindset
- The ability to understand and synthesize a wide range of stakeholder views, constantly listening whilst remaining focused on the overall goal
- Able to independently juggle multiple projects and stakeholders simultaneously
We want to find people who believe in our goals and feel inspired enough to grow while they’re here to fill the role, rather than someone who checks the boxes but isn’t invested. We encourage you to apply and show us what you’ve got.
If you require reasonable accommodation during the application and selection process, please let us know. We will work together to best meet your needs.
Working at VICE
VICE prioritizes the ideas and people that other media companies miss. We believe that innovation is a direct result of diverse, inclusive cultures so we don’t just “tolerate” differences, we celebrate it and see it as essential to our staff, culture, and business. To learn more read the VICE Guide to VICE
Agencies: VICE Media Group is not partnering with agencies nor accepts unsolicited resumes and will not be responsible for any fees or expenses related to such unsolicited resumes and/or applicants.