This serves as a public notice for the use of the Direct Hire Authority in accordance with 5 U.S.C. 3327 and 3330 and 5 CFR 330. These positions are to be filled under the OPM Government-Wide Direct Hire Authority for Information Technology Specialist (Information Security) Positions. Under this recruitment procedure, applications will be accepted for the location identified in this Public Notice. Applicants must follow the directions of the " How to Apply" section.
This direct hire public notice is to gather applications that may or may not result in a selection.
As an IT Specialist/Inspector (INFOSEC), at minimum you will:
- Conduct inspections, assessments, and reviews to ensure the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of the Department of State's systems, networks, and information is maintained through systemic planning, development, implementation, maintenance, and enhancement of processes.
- Review and assess information technology (IT) principles, methods, and security practices to protect and maintain the availability, integrity, confidentiality, and accountability of information system resources.
- Advise on IT security policies and procedures to ensure the protection of information.
- Accomplishes risk analyses, security assessments, and verification of compliance against federal IT statutory requirements, standards, and guidance.
Conditions of Employment
- Incumbent will be subject to random drug testing.
- Successfully pass the E-Verify employment verification check. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, visit: www.dhs.gov/E-Verify/
- Must be able to obtain and maintain a Top Secret security clearance.
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
- Completion of a Financial Disclosure (OGE-450) is required by this position.
- Incumbent may be required to carry a Government Furnished Equipment (GFE) cellular device and maintain a personal working cell/home telephone at all times.
- Overtime may be required.
- Status and non-status applicants selected under this authority are required to serve a mandatory one-year probationary period.
Applicants must meet all the required qualification requirements, including education, and any selective placement factors described below by the closing date of this announcement. If you are qualifying based on education OR if there are mandatory education requirements listed below, you MUST submit a copy of your college transcript with your application.
Must have IT-related experience demonstrating EACH of the competencies listed below:
- Attention to Detail - Is thorough when performing work and conscientious about attending to detail.
- Oral Communication - Expresses information orally and in written format (for example, ideas or facts) to individuals or groups effectively, taking into account the audience and nature of the information (for example, technical, sensitive, controversial); makes clear and convincing oral presentations; listens to others, attends to nonverbal cues, and responds appropriately.
- Problem Solving - Identifies problems; determines accuracy and relevance of information; uses sound judgment to generate and evaluate alternatives, and to make recommendations.
Applicants applying for the GS-14 grade level must have at least 1 full year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-13 level in the Federal service which provided you with the particular knowledge, skills and abilities to perform the duties of the position.
Qualifying specialized experience must demonstrate the following:
- Experience in assessing/reviewing security programs across multiple platforms.
- Experience with using relevant and current IT industry and federal stands to review and assess systems operations.
- Experience in interpreting and applying IT systems security principles, concepts, and methods.
- Experience in staying current with new and updated IT security developments.
- Experience in interpreting and applying project management principles and methods.
This job does not have an education qualification requirement.
- Recruitment Incentive:Recruitment, relocation or other incentives may be offered if found to be in the best interest of the government.
- For reasonable accommodation at the U.S. Department of State, please contact the Office of Accessibility and Accommodations at (202) 663-3474 or OAA@state.gov.
- If eligible, telework agreements may be permitted with supervisory approval.
- Multiple positions may be filled from this announcement. Telework eligibility and security clearance requirements may vary for such similar positions.
A career with the U.S. government provides employees with a comprehensive benefits package. As a federal employee, you and your family will have access to a range of benefits that are designed to make your federal career very rewarding. Opens in a new window Learn more about federal benefits.
Review our benefits
Eligibility for benefits depends on the type of position you hold and whether your position is full-time, part-time or intermittent. Contact the hiring agency for more information on the specific benefits offered.
You will be evaluated for this job based on how well you meet the qualifications above.
This position is announced under a government-wide Direct Hire Authority (DHA) for INFOSEC positions in the GS-2210 series. Under this Direct-Hire authority, applicants are required to meet minimum qualification requirements at the grade level(s) of interest. Veteran's Preference, Schedule A, Category Rating, and other methods of consideration DO NOT APPLY under Direct-Hire Authority regulations.
Appointments made under this authority will be processed as new appointments to the Civil Service. Current Civil Service employees would, therefore, be given new appointments to the Civil Service. Current Federal employees may be required to serve a new probationary period (5 CFR 315.802(b).
Once the application process is complete, a review of your resume will be conducted and compared against your responses to the assessment questions to determine if you are qualified for this job. Note: Responses to questions that are not fully supported by the information in your resume may result in adjustments to your rating.
Applicants who meet the minimum qualification requirements, as described in the "Qualifications" section of this announcement, will be assigned a score between 70 and 100. The assessment is used to measure the degree in which your background matches the competencies (knowledge, skills, and abilities) required for this position. Your qualifications will be evaluated on the following competencies:
- Professional knowledge of the Department's mission, programs, organization, and structure.
- Knowledge of trends and current developments in IT management functions and procedures.
- Knowledge of trends and current developments in IT security, including the current threat environment as well as strategies and techniques to protect information and information systems.
- Knowledge of the Federal statutory and regulatory environment as it relates to IT systems acquisition, development, implementation, and operation, including security requirements.
- Professional knowledge of evaluation and analysis methodology.
Agency Career and Interagency Career Transition Assistance Program (CTAP and ICTAP) candidates must be rated "Well Qualified" for the position and earn a score of at least 85 (when applicants are rated in a range of 70 to 100) to receive consideration for selection priority.
You may preview questions for this vacancy.