Who We Are
UnitedMasters is building a marketplace that connects artists, brands and fans - empowering artists to earn and grow. UnitedMasters has taken the bold step of building a music distribution service that, radically, puts artists first - disrupting the legacy music business by letting up-and-coming artists distribute their music directly to fans through streaming services while maintaining ownership of their master recording rights and up to 100% of royalties. Through the combination of UnitedMasters' music distribution platform and its deep ties to brands, UnitedMasters enables independent artists and change-makers to grow and earn unlike any other platform.
The UnitedMasters team is made up of musicians, marketers, engineers, and storytellers with backgrounds from YouTube, SoundCloud, Pandora, Facebook, Uber, Dropbox, Complex, VICE, and more. We work hand in hand with the award-winning creative teams that forge those innovative partnerships at Translation (our in-house creative advertising agency).
We are looking for a Sr. Manager, Communications to join UnitedMasters! Please note that this role is a Hybrid role: three days in office and two days remote.
What You'll Do
As the Sr. Manager, Communications, you will define and champion a consistent narrative aligned with UnitedMasters' mission, values and business objectives. You will own all major communications and public relations work streams to grow brand awareness, credibility and emotional connections among our brand and artist customers through impactful campaigns and earned media coverage. As a trusted partner across all areas of our business, you will help harness our momentum and accelerate UnitedMasters' reputation as the go-to platform for independent artists in the U.S. and globally as we launch new markets .This role reports to the VP Music & Marketing.
- Develop and execute comprehensive PR strategies that align with our business goals, ensuring consistent and effective messaging across all media channels.
- Elevate our brand presence in the music, entertainment, and technology sectors by securing media coverage, managing our online reputation and overseeing brand consistency.
- Build and maintain strong relationships with key media outlets, journalists, and influencers to secure high-impact coverage and opportunities.
- Create engaging, industry-specific content, including press releases, articles and white papers to showcase our expertise and thought leadership.
- Plan and execute successful PR campaigns to celebrate artists' success and support key business initiatives such as product launches, partnerships, events and company announcements, maximizing media exposure and engagement.
- Partner across Product, Marketing, B2B, Sales leadership and others to develop integrated comms plans, growth and GTM campaigns that amplify our initiatives across trades and drives tangible business impact
- Develop and implement crisis communication plans to protect our reputation and address potential issues promptly.
- Collaborate with cross-functional teams to ensure effective communication with internal and external stakeholders, including partners, customers, and employees.
- Track and analyze PR campaign performance, providing data-driven insights to optimize strategies and demonstrate the impact of PR efforts.
- Possess a deep understanding of PR principles, tactics, and trends, with a proven track record in the music, entertainment, and technology sectors.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and execute PR strategies that align with business objectives, ensuring the organization's messaging and image are consistent and effective.
- Strong network of media contacts in the music, entertainment, and technology industries, along with the ability to cultivate new relationships.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills, including press releases, articles, and multimedia materials, with an emphasis on tailoring content to target audiences.
- Experience in developing and implementing crisis communication plans, with the ability to handle high-pressure situations effectively.
- Proven expertise in planning and executing PR campaigns for product launches, events, and company announcements.
- Proficiency in using data analytics tools to track and measure the success of PR campaigns, with the ability to provide actionable insights.
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills, with the ability to collaborate effectively across departments and with external partners.
- Stay up-to-date with industry trends, emerging technologies, and key players in the music, entertainment, and technology sectors.
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, ever-changing environment, adjusting PR strategies as needed to address evolving industry dynamics.
- Agility: You thrive in a fast paced environment, are confident managing multiple projects simultaneously and effectively prioritize work to meet deadlines
- Results-driven: You have a successful track record of developing brand marketing strategies and plans that deliver results. You foresee roadblocks and develop plans to overcome them.
- Challenge Convention: You champion innovation and challenge standard approaches and traditional ideas in search of more effective or efficient options. You respect and encourage diversity of thought.
- A minimum of 5-7 years of progressively responsible experience in public relations, with a proven track record in the music, entertainment, and technology sectors.
- Strong relationships with key media outlets, journalists and influencers in the target industries.
- Familiarity with digital marketing strategies and tools to integrate PR efforts seamlessly.
- Track record of implementing innovative PR campaigns that push boundaries and drive results.
- Experience successfully managing high-stakes crisis situations in the music, entertainment, or technology industries.
- Bachelor's degree in Public Relations, Communications, or a related field.
- Experience working in international PR, with an understanding of global media landscapes and cultural nuances.
- Experience working in PR agencies specializing in music, entertainment, or technology.
UnitedMasters has over 1.5 million artists on its platform and is growing rapidly. Brands like Diageo, Ally, and ESPN come to UnitedMasters to partner with these artists and play a role in moving culture forward. In the past year, UnitedMasters subscribers have grown rapidly. With $170M raised to date and valued at $550M, UnitedMasters is backed by Andreessen Horowitz, Apple, Alphabet (aka Google), and Disney amongst others. Over the last year, UnitedMasters artists have used our platform to land sync deals with major brands including the NBA, ESPN, Overtime Elite, Bose, Warner Brother Studios and in the NBA video game 2k. These deals give them additional money for their work and increase their exposure.
Salary Hiring Range: $140,000 - $160,000
Our salary ranges are based on paying competitively for our size and industry, and are one part of many compensation, benefits and other reward opportunities we provide (e.g. bonus, stock options, 401(k) match, etc.)
Individual pay rate decisions are based on a number of factors, including qualifications for the role, experience level, skillset, and balancing internal equity relative to peers at the company. We expect the majority of the candidates who are offered roles at our company to fall healthily throughout the range based on these factors.
The range above is for the expectations as laid out in the job description, however we are often open to a wide variety of profiles, and recognize that the person we hire may be less experienced (or more senior) than this job description as posted. If that ends up being the case, the updated salary range will be communicated with you as a candidate.
The salary range above is for the NY/CA. As a company, we have a location based strategy, which means the salary range could be lower or higher than this if the role is hired in another location.