The Chicago Tribune is hiring Senior Packagers at warehouse facility in downtown Chicago.
We're hiring both 1st and 2nd shift.
Dayside (1st) shift usually starts at 7am.
Nightside (2nd) shift usually starts at 7 PM.
Starting pay rate is $17.00 per hour.
We're currently recruiting both part time and full time roles for our Packagers position.
The Freedom Center, our printing facility, is located at 560 W. Grand Ave along the Chicago River north of downtown with free (!) parking for employees and easily accessible via public transportation.
Chicago Tribune, part of Tribune Publishing, is committed to hiring people with diverse backgrounds, voices and visions. Be yourself. Bring yourself. Because that's the only way we deliver on our mission to provide meaningful journalism to the diverse communities we serve. We hold ourselves accountable for fostering inclusion and opportunity across race, gender, age, creed, identity and experience. Join us.
- Follow department policies and procedures in regard to safety, performance, attendance, etc.
- Meet set productivity, reliability and quality standards and goals.
- Monitor, operate and understand automatic and manual equipment such as stackers, tyers, conveyors, palletizers, labelers, stretch wrap machine, forklift operation.
- Check for quality, accuracy and product integrity for all product.
- Maintain ongoing communication with Technician, crew and supervisory personnel in regard to production issues or changes.
- Read and comprehend daily worksheet reports and equipment checklist as required by manager.
- Maintain positive working relationships and good communication at all levels of the organization.
- Manually pile/unpile bundles of newspaper or free standing inserts.
- Operate lift truck and/or mule to transport preprinted material to and from storage or processing areas.
- Train new employees on packaging related tasks as assigned by manager.
- Perform additional departmental tasks as assigned by manager personnel.
- Some warehouse-specific training will be provided
- High school education or equivalent preferred
- Above average problem solving skills necessary to monitor and troubleshoot automatic equipment
- Requires physical dexterity to lift and pile newspaper products that vary in weight from five to fifty pounds.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision and in a team environment
- While performing some duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, bend, use hands to finger, feel and reach with hands and arms
- Additionally, have the ability to read, decipher and document the required paperwork for the job duty
- Must be able to change work assignments on short notice and be flexible in scheduling
- Position requires working in production areas while forklifts, pallet jacks, mules, inserting and related equipment is in use
- Understand and adhere to department policies and procedures, including but not limited to standards of performance, conduct, attendance policy, substance abuse policy, housekeeping, safety.
- Wearing safety gear such as earplugs and safety steel toed shoes are required.
- The position requires the ability to work weekends, holidays and 12hr shifts