At Boeing, we innovate and collaborate to make the world a better place. From the seabed to outer space, you can contribute to work that matters with a company where diversity, equity and inclusion are shared values. We're committed to fostering an environment for every teammate that's welcoming, respectful and inclusive, with great opportunity for professional growth. Find your future with us.
The Boeing Defense, Space & Security (BDS) organization is seeking a Senior Flight Hardware Electronic Design & Analysis Engineer to join the Design Engineering Team in Huntsville, AL on the Patriot Advanced Capability (PAC-3) missile-defense program.
The Design Engineering team is responsible for designing RADAR seeker upgrades and next generation concepts, as well as supporting production and special test equipment design. Boeing has a multi-year contract to develop, test, and manufacture the PAC-3 RADAR seeker. This program encompasses concurrent design, test, and manufacturing as new upgrades to this complex electro-mechanical assembly are incorporated into production. This long-term program is rapidly growing due to design updates and production growth.
As the Senior Flight Hardware Electronic Design & Analysis Engineer for the PAC-3 program, you will be responsible for designing, testing and integrating digital and RF hardware focused on RADAR and Missile technologies. You will be required to interpret product requirements and developing complex, detailed system designs based on these requirements that must operate in harsh flight environments. Additionally, you will have hands-on hardware integration and test tasks, being hands-on in the lab environment with hardware such as commercial test equipment, test sets, custom electronics (simple to very complex), printed circuit boards (PCBs), hi-voltage power supply units, and seeker subsystems/systems.
This worksite participates in Boeing's optional 4/10 schedule rotation. 4/10 is a rotation in which employees can work 10 hour shifts, 4 days per week and receive every Friday off.
- Lead the design of electronic flight hardware and firmware focused on RADAR and high-power applications that include technologies such as antennas, gimbals, waveguides, filters, RF amplifiers, transceivers, analog/digital circuits, digital signal processors, field programmable gate arrays (FPGA), power supplies (AC/DC), high speed serial interfaces, and more
- Lead the development of custom circuit board designs for engineering verification and operational systems for production
- Perform detailed modeling and analysis of the designed circuits and systems to predict their behavior and performance.
- Responsible for total design drawing/documentation package creation and release in a Model-Based Engineering (MBE) environment using digitally integrated Computer Aided Design (CAD) and Product Lifecycle Management (PLM) tools
- Lead the planning and execution of various testing and analysis methods to support design and production ensuring system designs meet operational and functional requirements
- Develop detailed test plans/procedures and support the execution of test events
- Lead Root Cause/Corrective Action (RCCA) investigations and resolutions
- Lead formal trade studies and literature research to support future product designs
- Provide technical oversight, recommendations, and capability evaluations of suppliers engaged to provide various seeker sub-systems or components. Ensuring that supplier work adheres to all technical specifications.
- Support the preparation of proposals and bids for new product design projects.
- Provide technical oversight and guidance to less-experienced design team members: fostering an environment of learning and growth.
- Domestic travel may be required up to 10% of the time depending on business needs
This position is expected to be 100% onsite. The selected candidate will be required to work onsite.
This position requires the ability to obtain a U.S Security Clearance for which the US Government requires US Citizenship. (An interim and/or final U.S. Secret Clearance Post-Start is required.)
Basic Qualifications (Required Skills/Experience):
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering
- Minimum of ten (10) or more years of electrical engineering experience
- Minimum of five (5)or more years of experience in analog and digital electrical design
Preferred Qualifications (Desired Skills/Experience):
- Experience leading teams or projects formally or informally
- Experience effectively communicating and collaborating on multi-discipline teams
- Experience mentoring junior engineers
- Experience with RF systems or coursework in RF theory
- Experience in multiple focused areas: analog/digital circuits, gimbal design/control, power supply and distribution, FPGA/firmware, control systems, digital signal processing, RF theory, intermediate frequency processing, embedded architectures, and/or Electro Magnetic Compatibility in defense applications
- Experience with Printed Circuit Board (PCB) design
- Experience with a broad range of hardware types including RF assemblies, antennas, power supplies (AC/DC), FPGAs, digital signal processors, wave guides, gimbals, filters, mixed-signal electronics, RF amplifiers, transceivers, and/or serial rapid input/output (SRIO) interfaces
- Experience with digital and RF test equipment including signal generators, network analyzers, spectrum analyzers, and oscilloscopes
- Experience with engineering CAD/PLM tools such as Mentor and Windchill
- Experience with military/DoD, IPC, IEEE, and other industry design standards
- Recognized expert in electrical/electronic hardware design
Typical Education / Experience:
Education/experience typically acquired through advanced technical education from an accredited course of study in engineering (e.g. Bachelor) and typically 14 or more years' related work experience or an equivalent combination of technical education and experience (e.g. PhD+9 years' related work experience, Master+12 years' related work experience). In the USA, ABET accreditation is the preferred, although not required, accreditation standard.
This position offers relocation based on candidate eligibility. Note: Basic relocation will be offered for eligible internal candidates.
Drug Free Workplace:
Boeing is a Drug Free Workplace where post offer applicants and employees are subject to testing for marijuana, cocaine, opioids, amphetamines, PCP, and alcohol when criteria is met as outlined in our policies.
This position is for 1st shift.
At Boeing, we strive to deliver a Total Rewards package that will attract, engage and retain the top talent. Elements of the Total Rewards package include competitive base pay and variable compensation opportunities.
The Boeing Company also provides eligible employees with an opportunity to enroll in a variety of benefit programs, generally including health insurance, flexible spending accounts, health savings accounts, retirement savings plans, life and disability insurance programs, and a number of programs that provide for both paid and unpaid time away from work.
The specific programs and options available to any given employee may vary depending on eligibility factors such as geographic location, date of hire, and the applicability of collective bargaining agreements.
Please note that the salary information shown below is a general guideline only. Salaries are based upon candidate experience and qualifications, as well as market and business considerations.
Summary pay range: $145,350 - $196,650
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Boeing is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, physical or mental disability, genetic factors, military/veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.