A key member of the engineering team, responsible for ensuring effective and high quality engineering deliverables, and leading continuous improvement of engineering team. Strong skills in C, C++, Embedded, Linux and Windows are required including. Experience with a full range of technologies is saught from writing kernal drives to delivering Windows UX.
KEY TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
As a Staff Software Engineer, you will be responsible for the following:
- Lead the design and development of software collaboratively in an agile team using industry best practices.
- Shape and improve engineering methodology by identifying and implementing improvements in line with industry best practices.
- Master a major new area to Synaptics, to expand the company's technical capability.
- Provide analysis, definition and time estimate of small features or projects and identify alternative solutions.
- Use a methodical engineering approach to the analysis and diagnosis of complex, cross-discipline technical issues or defects.
- Working with the architect(s), originate and develop best architectural solutions to complex problems.
- Lead development of innovative technical solutions and create valuable company intellectual property using expertise to find the best solutions to complex technical problems. Support the Synaptics patent process as needed for new IP. Be proactive about spotting and solving issues.
- Promote testing methodology, by ensuring that teams follow test processes and develop adequate unit and automated tests with appropriate coverage for all developed features.
- Regularly report progress on their own and immediately related tasks to the team lead.
- Demonstrate both confidence and diplomacy in presenting contentious issues. Explore a range of possibilities for resolving issues and achieve acceptable compromises. Communicate effectively with others at various levels of the organisation.
- Show leadership and actively contribute experience and knowledge in team meetings, acting as a role model. Run team meetings as needed, deputising for the team lead.
- Take an active role in developing and sharing knowledge and skills with other staff.
- Manage multiple team, personal and departmental objectives in parallel, prioritising appropriately and flagging up potential risks as early as possible.
- Document, present and review technical information at a range of levels, including customers and technical conferences - clearly, concisely and appropriately targeted to the audience. Promote their area of expertise within the company.
- Be an ambassador for Synaptics by supporting key partner and external customer relationships as required. Show political and business awareness of what can and cannot be communicated to external contacts.
- Understand how company strategy relates to the Plan Of Record. Anticipate the longer-term impact of technical decisions and priorities, and seek to influence them where needed.
- Willingness to travel internationally two to three times per year.
- Technically assess potential recruits for senior engineering roles to ensure that the company recruits high calibre staff.