Senior Optical Engineer
- San Jose, CA
Synaptics is the pioneer and leader of the human interface revolution, bringing innovative and intuitive user experiences to intelligent devices. Synaptics' broad portfolio of touch, display, biometrics, voice, audio, and multimedia products is built on the company's rich R&D, extensive IP and dependable supply chain capabilities. With solutions designed for mobile, PC, smart home, and automotive industries, Synaptics combines ease of use, functionality and aesthetics to enable products that help make our digital lives more productive, secure and enjoyable. (NASDAQ: SYNA ) www.synaptics.com .
Synaptics Office-of-the-CTO is looking for a Senior Optical Engineer to help drive a new generation of Visual AI products that will utilize our SyNAP™ (Synaptics Neural Network Acceleration and Processing) computational solutions coupled with innovative optical imaging technology developed by the CTO team. SyNAP is a full-stack solution and framework that enables efficient "on device" execution of deep-learning models for advanced features such as user identification and behavioral prediction through video, computer vision and voice, all at the edge.
Job Scope with the CTO Group:
- The job is within a small, fast-paced CTO R&D product exploration group, focused on advanced Visual AI Technology including and through the Concept Prototyping stage.
- Collaborate within our CTO and Business teams regarding camera optical parameters and data collection for improving image quality.
- Innovate complex and novel optical solutions that optimize image performance of the new platforms.
- Be a subject matter expert for optical functions of the camera systems being developed, driving optical system definition and requirements, simulation, component selection, quality metrics and characterization.
- Be a subject matter expert for micro-camera optics architectures for innovative smartphone display solutions.
- Setup laboratory equipment to enable characterization capabilities for lens components to full concept-prototype optical systems.
- Carry out measurement and characterization of elements to be deployed in the proposed optical system.
- Perform simulations of optical elements and system being developed. Validate simulation results with lab measurement and characterization.
- Work with image algorithm developers to optimize the complete camera stack up.
- Work with internal and external development teams in assessing image quality requirements and validating the IQ metrics have been achieved.
- MS degree in a technical discipline (Mathematics, Physics, Computer Science, Imaging science, Optical Science, Engineering) and 15+ years relevant experience
- Have an in-depth understanding of optical systems, image science and performance evaluation.
- Experience working on optical systems, image quality and 3D Imaging cameras for computer vision applications, such as ToF cameras.
- Expert user of Zemax or other optical simulation tools.
- Ability to program with Python, Matlab and C/C++.
- Excellent documentation and communication skills.
- Ability to handle multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
Synaptics is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Back to top