A key member of the engineering team, contributing to high quality engi neering deliverables and supporting continuous improvement of engineering practices.
KEY TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
As a Senior Development Engineer (Technical) , you will be responsible for the following:
- Design and develop software collaboratively in an agile team using industry best practices.
- Help shape and improve engineering methodology (including ISO 9001 processes) by identifying areas for improvement in line with industry best practices.
- Master a new area to the business, wh ere there may be no prior exp ertise within the company.
- Provide analysis, definition and time estimates of small features or projects and identify alternative solutions.
- Use a methodical engineering approach to the analysis and diagnosis of complex technical issues or defects.
- Car ry out design tasks required to complete development work by developing a solid understanding of the system architecture and proposing changes and improvements where appropriate.
- Identify creative solutions to complex problems using experience. Evaluate a range of solutions or designs, and collaborate with colleagues to identify the best solution. Review colleagues' code changes to spot errors that may have been overlooked by others. Be proactive about spotting and solving issues.
- Promote the company's testin g methodology, by encouraging teams to follow test processes and develop adequate unit and automated tests with appropriate coverage for all developed features.
- Regularly report progress on their own and immediately related tasks to the team lead. Demonstr ate both confidence and diplomacy in presenting contentious issues. Explore a range of possibilities for resolving issues, and achieve acceptable compromises. Comm unicate effectively with others at various levels of the organisation .
- Take an active part in team meetings by contributing knowledge and experience succinctly. Run team meetings as needed, deputizing for the team lead.
- Mentor more junior department members by sharing knowledge and expertise as needs arise.
- Manage multiple objectives in parallel, prioritizing appropriately and seeking help early if deadlines are at risk.
- Document, present and review technical information aimed at both technical and non - technical colleagues (e.g. a release note) - clearly, concisely and appropriately targeted to the audience.
- As needed, establish and maintain technical contacts with partners and customers, organizing and running technical meetings with them. Show political and business awareness of what can and cannot be communicated to external contacts.
- Be able to articulate company strategy and customer needs, and how they relate to current work.
- Willingness to occasionally travel for work as requested.