Grow with the best. Join a smart, creative, and inspired team that works behind the scenes to support operational excellence. Our functional services teams (FSTs) provide services to 22,000 employees in over 400 locations worldwide. Bringing together individuals with diverse backgrounds, talents, and expertise, our FSTs are vital to making our Company stronger. Explore opportunities in Financial Services.
We have an exciting opportunity for a Payroll Supervisor (Canada), based in our Edmonton, AB office. The Payroll Supervisor (Canada) is a member of our Canadian Finance Services team and will report directly to the Manager of Payroll for Canada.
This position will be responsible for the operations of the Canadian payroll department while demonstrating leadership in the commitment to service excellence. Ensuring complete compliance of all legislative requirements and ensures the accuracy of all payroll calculations and the timelines are adhered to on a weekly, bi-weekly, monthly, or annual basis.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Provide training, leadership and support to the Payroll Team to ensure timely and accurate payroll transactions.
- Ensure adherence to provincial and federal legislation, government regulations, and company policies and procedures.
- Monitor internal controls by reviewing payroll processing files and validating manual cheques and/or wire payments.
- Oversee the preparation of the non-routine payments such as incentives, severance, and lieu of notice to ensure compliance with employment agreements, company policy and Labour Standards.
- Assist with identifying opportunities for efficiency, process improvements, and accuracy as well as inspiring teamwork.
- Ensure documentation is kept current and develop and maintain methods of communicating new payroll information to team members.
- Act as a liaison to both internal and external clients.
- Assist with internal and external audits including compilation of data - Coach and mentor Payroll team members.
- Provide performance feedback as needed and complete annual career development reviews for team members identifying goals for professional development.
- Ensure that all payroll information, files, and records are maintained in accordance with corporate policies and local statutes.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- PCP designation with the Canadian Payroll Association.
- Accounting Finance background an asset.
- Bilingual is an asset.
- Recent experience with a non-integrated payroll system.
- Extensive working knowledge of payroll and financial information systems.
- Highly proficient with MS Office products including Advanced Excel and Word.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Expertise in Oracle products, HRMS, Payroll and Oracle Time and Labor
- Demonstrated ability to lead, coach, mentor, team building, and support staff.
- Excellent interpersonal, customer service, public relations, organizational, multitasking, work prioritization, research and problem solving skills with minimal supervision.
- Comprehensive working knowledge of various provincial payroll legislative regulatory frameworks. eg. Statutory holiday pay, payroll deductions, pensions, Revenue Canada, and Service Canada, etc.
- Demonstrated ability to exercise discretion and judgment when handling confidential, sensitive, and/or controversial information.
- Demonstrated thorough written communication with the ability to verbally communicate information and ideas in a manner that can be understood by others.
- Demonstrated ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines and/or peak period workloads that will extend beyond the normal workday. Occasional weekend work will be required.
- Demonstrate ability to interact effectively and courteously with all levels of staff and key stakeholders.
Education and Experience
Minimum 5 - 10 years supervisory or manager experience.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.