Grounded in safety, quality, and ethics, our experts lead their fields and guide our work with rigor, a creative spirit, and vision for growth. We draw from more than 20 technical specialties around the globe and are committed to fostering an inclusive community of diverse talents, backgrounds, and expertise. We’re a place to apply your passion and collaborate with top environmental talents on work that’s critical to our clients and the communities they support. Join a team that has the environment down to a science.
Stantec is seeking an individual to support and coordinate the implementation of Stantec’s Health, Safety, Security and Environment (HSSE) program within the US West Region. Under the direction of the Geographic Health, Safety, Security and Environment Manager, the Health, Safety, Security & Environment Advisor will coordinate the day-to-day operations of the HSSE Program within the Region. This position is a full-time position, consisting of 40 hours per work week.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Work with the Regional Management Team to coordinate Regional HSSE direction
- Overall coordination of the Regional HSSE program
- Work with the Corporate HSSE team to develop and implement policies, rules, practices, and procedures as required
- Engage in HSSE communication activities through Business Centre (BC) meeting attendance, the use of newsletters, bulletins, reports, StanNet (Stantec’s intranet) and the Regional SharePoint site
- Manage the Regional ergonomic program and conduct ergonomic assessments as required
- Support the subcontractor management program for the US West, coordinating and conducting contractor prequalification assessments as required
- Oversee the HSSE training program for the Region, including HSSE and office orientations, organization of in-house training, and accurate tracking of completions and certifications
- Manage the Regional inspection program to ensure all facilities have been inspected on a monthly basis and corrective actions have been implemented, process includes the annual Workplace Violence Assessment and implementation of the Emergency Response Plans
- Support the Regional Leading Indicator Safety Index (LISI) initiative by performing and submitting field inspections, job observations, safe reviews, etc.
- Oversee and coordinate the purchasing of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) within the Region and advise staff on appropriate PPE for tasks conducted
- Coordinate and provide HSSE advice and direction to Office Safety and Environment Coordinators (OSECs), as well as operational and office staff
- Act as the point for communication to the Corporate HSSE team - Act as a technical resource for the Joint Health and Safety Committee (JHSC), attending all meetings
- Ensure compliance with Stantec’s HSSE systems including the HSSE Program Manual and Safe Work Practices, as well as compliance with local legislation
- Assist in planning Regional ISO (International Standards Organization) and OHSAS (Occupational Health and Safety Assessment Specification) audits
- Support the Regional Incident Management System
- Manage incoming incident reports, ensuring follow-up is completed and documented as required
- Communicate statistics within the Region on a monthly basis - Conduct investigations as required under the direction of the Geographic HSSE Manager
- Collaborate with the Stantec Workers’ Compensation Claims Coordinator during injury management as required
- Promote HSSE within the Region with a goal of continuous improvement of HSSE culture Organize events to promote Health and Safety (may include North American Occupational Safety and Health (NAOSH) week, Lunch and Learns, etc.)
- Work with various Stantec Business Lines / Sectors to provide HSSE services to clients including:
- Cross-selling of Health and Safety services to new and existing clients including development of proposals and costing for client Requests for Proposals (RFPs)
- Providing support, as needed, to both new and existing clients with environmental and safety reporting, recordkeeping, training, and safety procedures to assist them in maintaining compliance with both regulatory and in-house requirements
- Participating in detailed one to five-day compliance and risk assessment audits of client facilities in a variety of industries across the country as needed
- Provide cross-functional review and support of client-required Stantec Health and Safety Plans (HASPs
- Assist with marketing of HSSE services to clients to expand client focused safety and health services
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- A safety or industrial hygiene certification (CSP or CIH)
- Knowledge of OSHA regulations
- First Aid/CPR certifications are desired
- 40-Hour HAZWOPER certification and MSHA 40-Hour New Miner training is strongly desired
- Strong leadership skills and the capability to assess priorities and work independently
- Strong communication skills, both written and verbal, along with excellent interpersonal and organizational abilities, coupled with an ability to work in a team atmosphere
- Computer proficiency with the Microsoft Office suite of software
- Willingness to travel frequently for periods up to a week at a time
Education and Experience
- A degree or certificate in Occupational Health and Safety or a related field - Minimum five (5-10) years of relevant work experience in an HSSE profession
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’stalents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.