What if you could use your technology skills to develop a product that impacts the way communities’ hospitals, homes, sports stadiums, and schools across the world are built? Construction impacts the lives of nearly everyone in the world, and yet it’s also one of the world’s least digitized industries, not to mention one of the most dangerous. That’s why we’re looking for an experienced Principal Software Engineer to join Procore’s journey to revolutionize a historically underserved industry.
As a Principal Software Engineer on our Reliability Engineering team, you’ll help champion solutions to systemic issues affecting every team at Procore. Leveraging your software and systems architecture expertise, you’ll conduct consultative engagements with our service authors that improve our software’s reliability. If you have a passion for solving complex problems unique to running large, highly scalable, resilient systems, we would love for you to join us!
This position will report to the Senior Manager (SRE Embedded) and can be based at any of our US offices or remotely in the US. We’re looking for someone to join our team immediately.
What you’ll do:
- Lead the technical decisions within a blended team of Reliability Engineers to continually improve the reliability of Procore’s services through engineering and process improvement
- Lead your team to envision, design, and develop solutions in their respective areas with a bias toward reusability, toil reduction, and resiliency
- Identify opportunities across the broader organization for adopting, implementing, and maturing solutions to complex, systemic issues
- Continuously shape and evolve our Reliability Engineering strategy over time
- Use a collaborative approach to lead architectural design decisions that align with Procore’s architectural vision
- Partner with internal customers, peers, and leadership in planning, prioritization, and roadmap development
- Develop teammates by conducting code reviews, providing mentorship, pairing, and training opportunities
- Serve as the subject matter expert on tools, processes, and procedures and help guide others to create and maintain a healthy codebase
- Facilitate an “open source” mindset and culture both across teams internally and outside of Procore through active participation in and contributions to the greater community
What we're looking for:
- BS or MS degree in Computer Science or related discipline; or comparable work experience. Technical Certifications are a plus
- 12+ years of combined experience as a Software, Resiliency, or Reliability Engineer, with proficiency in two or more languages (Ruby, Node.js, Java preferred)
- Experience architecting and designing services within distributed systems
- Experience seeking and solving complex systemic problems
- Experience running applications on Kubernetes in Production
- Experience working with software, platforms, and infrastructure at scale (we run thousands of hosts and have millions of users)
- Experience as a technical leader on large initiatives with the ability to course-correct as needed
- Experience with the following is preferred:
- Public cloud (AWS, GCP)
- Cloud automation tooling (e.g., CloudFormation, Terraform, Ansible)
- Continuous Integration Tooling (e.g., CircleCI, Jenkins, Travis, etc.)
- Continuous Deployment Tooling (e.g., ArgoCD, Spinnaker)
- Service Mesh / Discovery Tooling (e.g., Consul, Envoy, Istio, Linkerd)
- Contributions to major open source projects
Procore Technologies is building the software that builds the world. We provide cloud-based construction management software that helps clients more efficiently build skyscrapers, hospitals, retail centers, airports, housing complexes, and more. At Procore, we have worked hard to create and maintain a culture where you can own your work and are encouraged and given resources to try new ideas. Check us out on Glassdoor to see what others are saying about working at Procore.
We are an equal opportunity employer and welcome builders of all backgrounds. We thrive in a diverse, dynamic, and inclusive environment. We do not tolerate discrimination against employees on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, marital status, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other classification protected by law.
Perks & Benefits
You are a person with dreams, goals, and ambitions—both personally and professionally. That's why we believe in providing benefits that not only match our Procore values (Openness, Optimism, and Ownership) but enhance the lives of our team members. Here are just a few of our benefit offerings: competitive health care plans, unlimited paid vacation, employee stock purchase plan, enrichment and development programs, and friends and family events.