Successful applicants for this position must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Vaccine verification will be required.
The SVP General Counsel leads and is responsible for all aspects of the performance of a sizable, growing Legal Department at a dynamic, high-growth, publicly-traded genetic testing company. The SVP General Counsel reports to the Chief Legal Officer, who manages the Legal and Compliance functions. The SVP General Counsel is accountable for teams handling SEC and corporate governance matters, all corporate and commercial transactions, real estate, labor & employment matters and general litigation and assistance in formulation of an intellectual property prosecution, maintenance and litigation strategy in consultation with Chief IP Counsel. The SVP General Counsel will attend meetings of the Executive Leadership Team (ELT) of the company and regularly advises the C-Suite.
You are a seasoned business executive and lawyer, a great communicator with an excellent pedigree and track record, proven leadership and mentoring capabilities, superb judgment, effective influence skills, comfort with uncertainty, the ability to handle complexity, and deftness in balancing business goals and legal risk.
Management of Growing Department:
- Develop and execute on 5-year plan for Legal Department
- Achieve high performance from and advance the development of direct reports and their teams
- Accountable for Legal Department budget
- Ensure effective service and value from outside counsel
- Generate, implement and manage against department goals
- Lead department meetings, offsites, team-building and other events
- Manage office space, technology and other resource needs of department
- Assume role as Corporate Secretary
- Develop strong relationship with members of Board of Directors
- Present and lead discussions at Board meetings on legal matters
Decision-Maker (or advise C-Suite) on Key Legal Issues:
- Manage key issues in critical litigation matters and formulate dispute resolution strategy in consultation with Chief IP Counsel
- Stay abreast of all business development matters and take lead on negotiation for high-value deals or issues not resolvable by negotiating teams
- Major corporate, debt and financing transactions
- Review all SEC filings and other public disclosures and manage complex disclosure issues
- Executive compensation matters
- Selectively and concisely raise issues to CLO and/or C-Suite, where their input is required
- Key advisor and collaborator for CLO in addressing company-critical legal, compliance, competitive and risk-balancing issues
- Attend and participate in select Board of Directors, ELT, and other senior executive committee meetings
- J.D. from accredited, competitive law school.
- Minimum of 20 years of in house and major law firm experience
- Experience as General Counsel at a public company
- Industry experience position requirements in order of priority: (1) CLIA laboratory; (2) genetic testing; (3) life sciences or healthcare
- Must have strong background in litigation, commercial contracting and licensing and experience in public company SEC reporting
- High aptitude in managing individuals and teams.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Exemplary leadership and positive influence skills
- High intellectual strength, analytical ability and curiosity
- Concise, effective written and verbal communication
- High-level understanding of financial, business and strategic matters
- Effective interaction with public company Boards and C-Suite
- SEC reporting, corporate governance, financings, and related matters
- Litigation management
- Competency with intellectual property issues in life sciences and, more specifically, diagnostics or genetic diagnostics
- Experience structuring, negotiating, drafting and explaining complex corporate transactions in diagnostics or life sciences industries, including licensing transactions.
- Ability to comfortably interact on technical (medical, biological, chemical) issues and with scientists, engineers and medical professionals
- Developing and managing budgets
- Strong interpersonal skills, across all organizational levels
- Ability to multi-task
- Nimbleness; ability to thrive in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- High levels of personal drive, initiative and confidence
- Comfort operating in uncertain and changing environment and with issues of first impression
- Impeccable ethical behavior
- Duties are typically performed in an office setting and environment
- This position requires the ability to use a computer keyboard, communicate over the telephone and read printed material
- Duties may require working outside normal working hours (evenings and weekends) at times
- Limited/infrequent travel where demands of job require it
Travel required for this position:
No or Yes _X : If yes state anticipated percent for travel: up to 15%
Driven by the passion for elevating the science and utility of genetic testing, Natera is committed to helping families identify and manage genetic diseases. Natera is a rapidly-growing diagnostics company with proprietary bioinformatics and molecular technology for analyzing DNA. Our complex technology has been proven clinically and commercially in the prenatal testing space and we are actively researching its applications in the liquid biopsy space for developing products with oncology applications.
The Natera team consists of highly dedicated statisticians, geneticists, doctors, laboratory scientists, business professionals, software engineers and many other professionals from world-class institutions, who care deeply for our work and each other. When you join Natera, you'll work hard and grow quickly. Working alongside the elite of the industry, you'll be stretched and challenged, and take pride in being part of a company that is changing the landscape of genetic disease management.
WHAT WE OFFER
Competitive Benefits. Generous Employee Referral program. Healthy catered lunches everyday, and premium snacks! Additionally, we offer complimentary premium coffee drinks and teas, and other beverages.
For more information, visit www.natera.com.
Natera is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace environment, and welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. Inclusive collaboration benefits our employees, our community and our patients, and is critical to our mission of changing the management of disease worldwide.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply, and will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, age, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with applicable laws.