Staff Scientist R&D, Molecular Biology Research
- San Carlos, CA
Staff Scientist R&D, Molecular Biology Research Initiates, directs and executes pre-clinical scientific research and development in the Molecular Biology Research team. Focuses on advancing Natera's oncology product portfolio and works within a research team inventing and evaluating new technologies for applications in oncology, transplant and NIPT. Investigates the feasibility of applying a wide variety of scientific principles and concepts to potential inventions, products and problems. Plans, executes and manages laboratory research. Maintains broad knowledge of state-of-the-art principles and theories.
• Contributes very substantially and intellectually to research or development
• Leads Signatera and Oncology projects to create and develop novel nucleic acid based diagnostic tests; including planning, feasibility testing, protocol development, optimization, verification, validation, and launch
• Responsible for projects and associated timelines and deliverables
• Thoroughly comprehends the objectives and vision of the work
• Independently develops plans, generates and advances new ideas
• Independently designs and executes high complexity experiments
• Coordinates the execution and analysis of effective experiments with statistics and bioinformatics teams
• Performs basic data analysis (e.g. R, JMP, Excel)
• May manage Research Associates
• Very strong communication, analytical and problem-solving skills
• Adept with Excel and basic statistical analysis
• Documents research progress under a Quality Management System
• Interacts with on-site CLIA lab, Sequencing and Process Development groups
• Works and communicates with external partners and collaborators
• Communicates progress directly with manager, colleagues and senior management
• This role works with PHI on a regular basis both in paper and electronic form and has access to various technologies to access PHI (paper and electronic) in order to perform the job
• Employee must complete training relating to HIPAA/PHI privacy, General Policies and Procedure Compliance training and security training as soon as possible but not later than the first 30 days of hire
• Must maintain a current status on Natera training requirements.
• Employee must pass post offer criminal background check
• Degree in molecular biology, cellular biology or closely related field
• Ph.D. with a minimum of 8+ years of industry experience including significant leadership experience
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
• Must have experience with next generation sequencing (NGS) and DNA/RNA molecular biology.
• Experience with nucleic acid technologies relating to PCR, qPCR, multiplex PCR, digital PCR, NGS and microarrays
• Epigenetic/methylation, target enrichment, cfDNA/RNA and NGS data analysis experience is a plus
• Track record of originating, developing and productizing novel nucleic acid techniques and tests
• Strong research skills with a history of innovation
• Experience developing tests in oncology, transplant, NIPT or liquid biopsy
• Proven success in managing collaborative and individual projects, previous experience managing research associates a plus
• Demonstrated experience in managing and providing basic level of leadership to research associates and junior scientists
• Demonstrated success in applying independent scientific judgment in experimental design and analysis
• Very strong analytical and problem-solving skills
• Adept with Excel and basic statistical analysis
• Bioinformatic capabilities, programming (e.g. PERL, python) and databases experience (SQL) are a plus
• Skilled at writing clear plans, reports and SOPs
• Experience with Design Control and in a regulated environment a plus
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT:
• Duties are typically performed in an office setting.
• This position requires the ability to use a computer keyboard, communicate over the telephone and read printed material.
• Duties may require working outside normal working hours (evenings and weekends) at times.
Travel required for this position:
No X or Yes _: If yes state anticipated percent for travel:
Driven by the passion for elevating the science and utility of genetic testing, Natera is committed to helping families identify and manage genetic diseases. Natera is a rapidly-growing diagnostics company with proprietary bioinformatics and molecular technology for analyzing DNA. Our complex technology has been proven clinically and commercially in the prenatal testing space and we are actively researching its applications in the liquid biopsy space for developing products with oncology applications.
The Natera team consists of highly dedicated statisticians, geneticists, doctors, laboratory scientists, business professionals, software engineers and many other professionals from world-class institutions, who care deeply for our work and each other. When you join Natera, you'll work hard and grow quickly. Working alongside the elite of the industry, you'll be stretched and challenged, and take pride in being part of a company that is changing the landscape of genetic disease management.
WHAT WE OFFER
Competitive Benefits. Healthy catered lunches, Premium snacks and beverages, Onsite gym with cardio and weight-training equipment, Game room with satellite TV, Onsite dry cleaning and alteration service with pick-up and delivery, Employee-organized sport leagues, Happy hours and BBQs, Generous Employee Referral program.
For more information, visit www.natera.com.
Natera is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace environment, and welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. Inclusive collaboration benefits our employees, our community and our patients, and is critical to our mission of changing the management of disease worldwide.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply, and will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, age, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with applicable laws.
Back to top