Successful applicants for this position must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Vaccine verification will be required.
The Senior Scientist initiates and executes pre-clinical scientific research and development in the Molecular Biology Development team. Focuses on evaluating new technologies for applications in Oncology. Investigates the feasibility of applying a wide variety of scientific principles and concepts to potential inventions, products and problems. Plans and executes laboratory studies. Analyzes data and interprets results. Maintains broad knowledge of state-of-the-art principles and theories.
- Contributes substantially and intellectually to research and development
- Performs duties largely independent from manager
- Leads in-lab efforts to create and develop novel nucleic acid based diagnostic tests
- Thoroughly comprehends the objectives and vision of the work
- Independently develops plans, generates and advances new ideas
- Independently designs and executes moderate to high complexity experiments
- Coordinates the execution and analysis of effective experiments with statistics and bioinformatics teams
- Performs basic data analysis (e.g. R, JMP, Excel)
- Documents research progress under a Quality Management System
- Interacts with on-site CLIA lab, Sequencing and Process Development groups
- Works with partners and outside collaborations
- Communicates progress directly with colleagues and senior management
- B.S. with a minimum of 10 years of industry experience, M.S with a minimum of 7 years of industry experience, or Ph.D. with a minimum of 4 years of industry experience
- Track record of participating in development of diagnostic tests; knowledge of design control systems
- This role works with PHI in paper and electronic form and has access to various technologies to access PHI (paper and electronic) in order to perform the job
- Employee must complete training relating to HIPAA/PHI privacy, General Policies and Procedure Compliance training and security training as soon as possible but not later than the first 30 days of hire.
- Employee must maintain a current status on Natera training requirements.
- Employee must pass post offer criminal background check.
- Skilled at writing clear plans, reports, and SOPs
- Must have experience with next generation sequencing (NGS) and DNA/RNA molecular biology.
- Experience with nucleic acid technologies relating to PCR, qPCR, multiplex PCR, digital PCR, NGS and microarrays
- Track record of originating, developing and productizing novel nucleic acid techniques and tests
- Strong research and product development skills with a history of innovation
- Experience developing tests in oncology or liquid biopsy a plus
- Proven success in collaborative and individual projects
- Demonstrated success in applying independent scientific judgment in experimental design and analysis
- Very strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Adept with Excel and basic statistical analysis
- Bioinformatic capabilities, programming (e.g. PERL, python) and databases experience (SQL) are a plus
PHYSICAL DEMANDS & WORK ENVIRONMENT:
Duties are typically performed in an office and laboratory setting. This position requires the ability to use a computer keyboard, communicate over the telephone, and read printed material. Laboratory activities require periods of standing while working and occasionally lifting heavy objects. Duties may require working outside normal working hours (evenings and weekends) at times.
Driven by the passion for elevating the science and utility of genetic testing, Natera is committed to helping families identify and manage genetic diseases. Natera is a rapidly-growing diagnostics company with proprietary bioinformatics and molecular technology for analyzing DNA. Our complex technology has been proven clinically and commercially in the prenatal testing space and we are actively researching its applications in the liquid biopsy space for developing products with oncology applications.
The Natera team consists of highly dedicated statisticians, geneticists, doctors, laboratory scientists, business professionals, software engineers and many other professionals from world-class institutions, who care deeply for our work and each other. When you join Natera, you'll work hard and grow quickly. Working alongside the elite of the industry, you'll be stretched and challenged, and take pride in being part of a company that is changing the landscape of genetic disease management.
WHAT WE OFFER
Competitive Benefits. Generous Employee Referral program. Healthy catered lunches everyday, and premium snacks! Additionally, we offer complimentary premium coffee drinks and teas, and other beverages.
For more information, visit www.natera.com.
Natera is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace environment, and welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. Inclusive collaboration benefits our employees, our community and our patients, and is critical to our mission of changing the management of disease worldwide.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply, and will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, age, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with applicable laws.