Successful applicants for this position must be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Vaccine verification will be required.
The Research Technician performs routine laboratory research and development services as part of the Sample Processing Team. Works with a multidisciplinary team. Under nominal direction, performs a variety of basic and general laboratory research and sample management tasks determined by the field and scope of the research project.
- Work primarily with R&D Scientific Operations providing biosamples for use in clinical and research efforts.
- Sample processing: plasma isolation, plasma normalization, cfDNA extraction, gDNA extraction, library preparation, DNA quantification, Next-Generation Sequencing
- Assist in sample accessioning, pulls, distribution, and issue resolutions
- Update and maintain current and incoming inventory of biosamples
- Identify, label, and keep accurate sample records in LIMS/database
- Data review and management of sample related documents
- Recognize and escalate equipment and instrument malfunctions to appropriate personnel.
- Review standard operating procedures (SOP) and other sample-related documents when necessary
- Ensure accurate, ethical, and appropriate management of samples in compliance with all applicable federal regulations
- Adhere to environmental, health and safety (EHS) guidelines and good clinical and laboratory practices (GCP/GLP)
- Perform other tasks as specified by the manager/director
- This role works with PHI on a regular basis both in paper and electronic form and has access to various technologies to access PHI (paper and electronic) in order to perform the job.
- Employee must complete training relating to HIPAA/PHI privacy, General Policies and Procedure Compliance training and security training as soon as possible but not later than the first 30 days of hire.
- Must maintain a current status on Natera training requirements.
- Employee must pass post offer criminal background check
- BS/BA in a biological science or equivalent required
- Minimum of 1-2 years of related laboratory experience
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- Familiar with basic clinical or research laboratory techniques, including sterile handling and proper storage of samples
- Knowledge of library preparation and next generation sequencing platforms a plus (NovaSeq, HiSeq, NextSeq)
- Basic knowledge of LIMS/database query tools with Microsoft Excel and SQL experience a plus!
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to think creatively and analytically with strong troubleshooting and problem-solving skills
- Team player with demonstrated strong interpersonal skills with an ability to build effective working relationships within functional area
- Ability to thrive in a fast paced, evolving environment, and manage competing priorities
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Duties are typically performed in an office and laboratory setting.
- This position requires the ability to use a computer keyboard, communicate over the telephone and read printed material.
- Duties may require working outside normal working hours (evenings and weekends) at times.
- May require lifting or moving items weighing up to 25lbs.
Driven by the passion for elevating the science and utility of genetic testing, Natera is committed to helping families identify and manage genetic diseases. Natera is a rapidly-growing diagnostics company with proprietary bioinformatics and molecular technology for analyzing DNA. Our complex technology has been proven clinically and commercially in the prenatal testing space and we are actively researching its applications in the liquid biopsy space for developing products with oncology applications.
The Natera team consists of highly dedicated statisticians, geneticists, doctors, laboratory scientists, business professionals, software engineers and many other professionals from world-class institutions, who care deeply for our work and each other. When you join Natera, you'll work hard and grow quickly. Working alongside the elite of the industry, you'll be stretched and challenged, and take pride in being part of a company that is changing the landscape of genetic disease management.
WHAT WE OFFER
Competitive Benefits. Generous Employee Referral program. Healthy catered lunches everyday, and premium snacks! Additionally, we offer complimentary premium coffee drinks and teas, and other beverages.
For more information, visit www.natera.com.
Natera is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to ensuring a diverse and inclusive workplace environment, and welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities and perspectives. Inclusive collaboration benefits our employees, our community and our patients, and is critical to our mission of changing the management of disease worldwide.
All qualified applicants are encouraged to apply, and will be considered without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, age, veteran status, disability or any other legally protected status. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with applicable laws.