Based in Chicago at SC Johnson Lifestyles Business Unit manufacturing plant, and reporting to the Senior Director of Project Management, this individual will be responsible for the qualification of primary, secondary, and tertiary packaging solutions, working closely with contract manufacturers/component suppliers, identifying and implementing cost saving opportunities, and partnering with operations to deliver against our supply chain resiliency and product optimization strategies.
Manufacturing experience, quick thinking, and an eye for detail are some of the necessary super powers to be highly effective in this role. It will require a hands-on approach where leadership, creativity and a passion for packaging will make.
AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
- Lead the scale-up, qualification, and validation of packaging components for products to ensure supply chain resiliency
- Develop qualification plans, line trials, and equipment capability studies to ensure successful commercialization at internal and external manufacturing locations
- Conduct in-depth technical feasibility assessments of contract manufacturers/suppliers, including manufacturing capabilities, cost drivers, and quality systems
- Assist quality and supply planning teams to troubleshoot quality and/or production issues at manufacturing locations
- Create packaging related specifications, finished product manuals and ongoing management of data accuracy in a Project Lifecycle Management software (SAP) (Workfront)
- Influence short- and long-term project plans as part of project team. Identify new product, cost, supply assurance and quality improvement opportunities
- Collaborate with packaging engineering and site engineering to build capability to continuously improve operational efficiency
The ideal candidate will be constantly curious, organized and detail-oriented with applicable liquids scale-up and manufacturing and/or product development experience at a fast-paced consumer packaged goods company. We're looking for someone who has great technical depth, a founder's mentality, is flexible, nimble, and is ok getting their hands dirty on the production floor. The ability to manage multiple projects and successfully keep the business teams informed and up to date is crucial, so excellent communication and project management skills are a must. This candidate will be the go-to person for executing packaging qualifications and seamless start- ups across our internal and external manufacturing network.
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- BS in Packaging Engineering / Mechanical Engineering /related field
- 5 years minimum experience with a focus on commercialization, qualification, and hands-on trouble-shooting in a manufacturing environment
- Proven understanding of packaging components, supplier processes, manufacturing processes and scale-up
- Superior technical knowledge, attention to detail and ability to multi-task - we move fast!
- Experience in liquid fill manufacturing environments
- Passion for innovation and environmental sustainability
- Highly effective communication skills— able to articulate ideas, voice constructive opinions
- Ability to collaborate well as a member of a multi-functional team
- Ability to stay focused on the big picture
HOURS: full time, salaried (exempt)
REPORTS TO: Senior Director of Project Management
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities
The contractor will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor's legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c)