JUUL Labs’ mission is to impact the lives of the world’s one billion adult smokers by eliminating combustible cigarettes. We have the opportunity to address one of the world’s most intractable challenges through a commitment to exceptional quality, research, design, and innovation. Backed by leading technology investors, we are committed to the same excellence when it comes to hiring great talent.
We are a diverse team that is united by this common purpose and we are hiring the world’s best engineers, scientists, designers, product managers, operations experts, and customer service and business professionals. If the opportunity to build your career at one of the fastest growing companies is compelling, read on for more details.
We seek a dynamic, highly skilled, and passionate Senior Electrical Engineer to bring new products and major product improvements to market. This important, highly technical position reports to the Director of Engineering, China in the Engineering organization at JUUL Labs. This is a hands-on role that will be responsible for designing new products that are innovative, cost efficient, reliable, and ship on schedule. This role will drive the validation of concepts via early analysis, prototyping and testing, and work with cross-functional teams to ensure that product requirements are managed to achieve optimal experiences for our customers. In addition, the Senior Electrical Engineer will work closely with internal and external partners to technically define electro-mechanical designs and ensure that all product and project requirements are met. You will troubleshoot and make improvements to existing products, and work closely with other members of the engineering staff to create optimal solutions to difficult electrical, software, thermal, and battery life issues. You will be comfortable sketching and prototyping new ideas and be familiar with engineering best practices, concepts and procedures. We are looking for someone who is flexible and can respond quickly, energetically, and enthusiastically to changes. The person in this role should be a strong communicator who is able to lead effectively and work effectively with peers and management alike in a high-paced global environment.
- Meet regularly with the Director of Engineering, China and Director of EE to review project performance, identify any issues and set expectations of goals.
- Manage and maintain schedules, project plans, and cost estimates for implementing new product introductions and significant product enhancements.
- Manage the electrical engineering team from our manufacturing partners(CM). Work with CM’s engineering leads to set targets, to schedule, and manage resource plans according to the priorities set for the projects.
- Mentor less experienced staff on technical issues and handling projects and responsibilities; considered a strong leader and role model for the engineering department.
- Ensure engineers follow appropriate documentation guidelines and hold design reviews in accordance with product development procedures.
- Lead team in developing, validating, and documenting product and process requirements.
- Work with the Director of EE in the prioritization and assessment of future projects and department goals.
- Demonstrate a high level of cross-functional organization, communication, and management
- Travel to support manufacturing builds
- Support New Product Introduction.
- Support Sustaining Engineering.
- Design, build, and verify PCBAs.
- Oversee schematics, BOMs, and PCB layouts for new and existing products.
- Oversee test specifications and procedures for electrical and electromechanical assemblies.
- Support test fixture design, validate, and repair for manufacturing, QA, and contract manufacturers during NPI.
- Support troubleshooting for product failures on PCBs, power supplies, and electromechanical assemblies during initial ramp.
- In the approval path for new product releases and corrective actions (NCR, CAPA) and DCNs (ECOs).
- Oversee embedded or PC-level software to control PCB test fixtures.
- Create/execute verification and validation protocols for test fixtures, procedures, and software.
- Follow JUUL Labs’ design control and documentation procedures (PLM experience helpful.)
PERSONAL AND PROFESSIONAL QUALIFICATIONS:
- Strong project management skills required. Capable of overseeing multiple cross-functional teams in all project activities for multiple concurrent projects necessary for the successful commercial launch of new products.
- Minimum of 8 years of relevant Electrical Engineering experience in one or more of the following areas: product design, new product release, test engineering, manufacturing support.
- Previous experience with medical devices or other regulated products is desirable.
- Strong analog, digital, and power circuit design, test, and debugging capabilities.
- Schematic and PCB layout expertise, preferably with Altium Designer
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- SMD and through-hole soldering.
- Strong knowledge of embedded microcontrollers and low power devices.
- Strong knowledge of wired/wireless communications (I2C, SPI, USB, Bluetooth).
- Electromechanical design, assembly, and troubleshooting.
- Expertise in one (or more of) the areas of: Rigid and flex PCB design, troubleshooting and solving EMI, ESD, and signal & power integrity issues, international regulatory certifications (such as UL, CE, JIS, and KC), communication protocols (USB, SPI, I2C, UART, Bluetooth low energy
- Software Experience - C is a must; Python is a plus
- Other requirements or beneficial knowledge:
- BLE (beneficial)
- Real-time Operating System (RTOS) (beneficial)
- Understanding of serial communication protocols I2C, SPI, UART (required)
- Working with EE to bring up a PCB (required)
- Experience with sensors or other ICs communicating over SPI and/or I2C
- Self-motivated, team player, with a strong desire to learn new skills and grow.
- Ability to multi-task or focus on detailed problems, and tenacity to drive issues until resolved.
- BS in Electrical or Computer Engineering, or related fields. Associate’s degree with significant experience will be considered. Master’s degree is a plus.
JUUL LABS PERKS & BENEFITS:
- A place to grow your career. We’ll help you set big goals - and exceed them
- People. Work with talented, committed and supportive teammates
- Equity and performance bonuses. Every employee is a stakeholder in our success
- Boundless snacks and drinks
- Cell phone subsidy, commuter benefits and discounts on JUUL products
- Excellent medical, dental and vision benefits