OkCupid is looking to hire a Staff Software Engineer!
We’re seeking Engineers who:
are passionate about technology
are excited to learn new things
work well with others
can join our small team in NYC!
What is it like being a Software Engineer at OkCupid?
The OkCupid backend engineering team is comprised of six engineers building the infrastructure that powers matching algorithms, messaging, and more for millions of users every day. Because the team is so small relative to our user base, each engineer here has full ownership of what they're working on and the opportunity to have a huge amount of direct consumer impact. We also have a lot of input into both technical and product design, and we are involved in all parts of the product process from ideation to deployment, so everything we build is something that we also had a hand in designing.
Another result of our lean team size is that each of us has the opportunity to be exposed to many different parts of our stack and learn a ton. To give one concrete example, one backend engineer has in the past year alone: built the foundation of our anti-spam infrastructure, built out the backend support for a completely new messaging paradigm, and built the foundation of our machine learning infrastructure.
We work closely with the other engineering and product teams across the company to figure out the best ways to help people find meaningful relationships, and then to turn those ideas into live product features. These changes can include adding brand new features and experiences to the site; tweaking our matching algorithm to make sure that users see the best possible matches; or improving our infrastructure to ensure that users are always able to find matches and that we can continue to move quickly and improve their experience.
Some things you’ll do:
Analyze site activity and user behavior to figure out what makes people click
Work with product and engineering teams to figure out the best ways to help our users find love
Design, implement, and deploy features and improvements based on these findings
Some examples of projects that backend engineers are currently or were recently working on:
Discovery: building a new site experience to help users find other users based on shared interests, question answers, etc.
Matching algorithm: optimizing the algorithms that decide whom users see in different places across the site
ML infrastructure: building out infrastructure to allow our engineers and data scientists to quickly and easily deploy newly trained machine learning models into production
Core infrastructure: designing the future foundation of OkCupid's backend infrastructure, from deployments to testing environments to monitoring and alerting
Some things you’ll need:
- 4+ years’ experience designing and building software
- Expertise with C++ or C, with Go being a plus!
- Experience designing and building scalable and reliable distributed systems – preferred
- Experience working on consumer-facing products – preferred
What’s in it for you?
- Competitive salary and full benefits, including Medical, Dental, Vision, and 401k
- Workstation and tools of your choice
- Paid attendance to conferences
- Complimentary catered lunch and an endless supply of snacks & drinks (in-office)
- Monthly snack boxes (remote)
- Company funded happy hours/events
- Discounted fitness membership with ClassPass
- Generous maternity and/or paternity leave and contributions towards fertility preservation
- A team full of incredibly curious and friendly people
OkCupid is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are deeply committed to fostering an inclusive environment for all employees.