GrubStreet is the leading literary arts center in the country. We are a hardworking and creative bunch and pride ourselves on a warm and supportive work environment. The Operations Associate position plays a vital role in helping GrubStreet to support our mission.
In our search for an Operations Associate, we are looking for someone to help us run our reception desk, order inventory, manage interns, manage the space, and support the Operations department. This position will be vital in launching our new Center for Creative Writing in the Seaport: not only will you be the first line of communication with the public, but you’ll also be instrumental in developing and implementing new operational processes. This position requires availability on nights and weekends.
This is a full-time permanent position. The Operations Associate works in our fast-paced, friendly Boston office (with the majority of staff operating remotely). This position reports to the Operations Manager and works closely the entire team.
We encourage BIPOC (Black, Indigenous and people of color), LGBTQIA+, people with disabilities, and other communities historically underrepresented in arts administration spaces to apply. GrubStreet strives to dismantle every system, process, or structure that would discourage any person from working with us. We actively seek diversity, equity, and inclusivity because we know that all people are vital and that their stories are our stories.
• Manage reception desk - fielding calls, responding to emails, printing copies, registering all visitors to space, handling mail and deliveries, parking validation, etc.
• Train new part time reception team members; schedule reception desk, phone, and email coverage
• Manage and sell inventory of merchandise (mugs, shirts, etc.) in partnership with Marketing department
Interns, Volunteers, & Co-ops
• Manage intern, assist in managing co-op with the Operations Manager
• Assist in intern and co-op hiring process
Space & Facilities
• Coordinate space access (keycards); coordinate room rentals, use, and accommodations; and material resources for staff, employees, events, tenants, vendors, building management, and partners
• Coordinate with vendors for regular on-site activities (e.g. cleaning, WB Mason, trash, electrical, plumber, locksmith, HVAC, loading dock) and process Certificates of Insurance
• Distribute and dispatch mail and packages
• Track security incidents and monitor cameras as needed
• Maintain equipment and inventory records (serial numbers, condition, quantity, etc.); Assist in managing intern and co-op research projects; Assist in developing proposals for new operational needs
• Track and order office inventory each week, process purchase orders from staff
• Coordinate cleanings, certificates of insurance, and loading dock requests
Information Technology & Website
• Provide low level IT support to staff (file syncing, browser issues, software licensing), as well as students and instructors, e.g. connecting to wifi, using the copier, assisted listening devices, hooking up to televisions)
• Point of contact for general website issues and reporting them to the Operations Manager
• Assist in development of best practices and training staff
• ADA contact
• Assist Ops Manager with Events IT, AV, and logistics (catering, ticketing, loading dock)
• Assist in managing keys and records
• Assist in drafting, copyediting, and maintaining operational processes and policies
• Provide accommodations to make space accessible to all students and guests, i.e. assisted listening devices, large font print outs, etc.
Note: Position requires nights and weekends
• Strong interpersonal and communication skills required – both oral and written
• Strong organizational skills required
• Passion for working with people and supporting a team
• Demonstrates GrubStreet’s commitment to anti-racism and equity in all communications and interactions with community members
• Comfortable with technology (word processing, spreadsheets, web applications, etc.)
• Willingness to learn new skills, processes, and technologies
• 1-2 years’ of customer service or nonprofit experience a plus but not required
• Ability to work nights and weekends
About the Organization
We believe that narrative transforms lives, builds bridges, and produces empathy. By rigorously developing voices of every type and talent, and by removing barriers to entry, GrubStreet fosters the creation of meaningful stories and ensures that excellent writing remains vital and relevant.
GrubStreet, the largest creative writing center in the U.S., annually engages over 8,000 students – both teens and adults – in programs that range from two-hour workshops to year-long graduate-level seminars.
Our teachers are working artists who bring the highest quality instruction and mentorship to storytellers. We also host a major writing conference each year and public storytelling events. The education and networks we facilitate foster a richer local writing scene, with a strong focus on increasing opportunities for writers of color, low-income writers, and teen writers.
Our programs eliminate common barriers to participation in the arts and lifelong learning, and build community among participants. We continue to increase scholarships and provide free writing programs (including bilingual classes) for adults and teens in low-income communities across Boston.
Our programs and offices are currently operating remotely in response to the Covid-19 pandemic, but this position requires in-person work in our Boston office.
GrubStreet is an equal opportunity employer. We provide a competitive salary and benefits package and a dynamic, collaborative work environment. The salary range for this position is $45,000-50,000, commensurate with experience.
Instructions: Please submit your resume and cover letter at this link: https://airtable.com/shr7iOIxjJZC4Foyp. If you have trouble or have questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and put “Operations Associate” in the subject line. We will begin interviewing candidates on August 25th, but applications will be accepted and reviewed on a rolling basis. No phone calls, please.
Position Status: Full time, exempt
Position Level: Associate, 1-2 years’ experience preferred
Position Reports to: Operations Manager