EF is investing in new software innovation products for the next generation of education experiences. We are modernising our tech stack and our development processes; and building a strong team of engineers to completely own code and infrastructure for our B2B products. We’re
looking for individuals who love to grow and solve new and interesting problems.
We’re not overly obsessive about tech stacks that you may have used - but value any experience with building modern, dynamic and complex applications.
The Team and Our Stack
We are responsible for the development, maintenance & deployment of the EF B2B Online School.
We are mostly based in the UK and Switzerland.
We run our system on top of AWS - we use EKS (Kubernetes cluster), RDS, MSK, Elasticache and Elasticsearch.
Our backend services are mostly implemented in Java (Vert.x) and Node.js (NestJS).
Our frontend is mostly implemented in Elm and React.
For mobile development we use Swift/Objective-C for iOS, Kotlin/Java for Android, and we’re starting to look into React Native.
We use Github both for source control and CI/CD (Github Actions).
We deploy using Terraform & Helm.
We do data processing using Kafka and Storm.
We are looking for a talented engineer to help build & maintain applications across the board, from single-responsibility backend services (microservices), to smooth user-facing UIs. You will be a part of a team which values quality, code coverage and good code design.
You will contribute to our backend services, frontend apps and architectural decisions regarding the system. We understand nobody is an expert in everything and everyone has their own area of expertise. This role is defined as full stack but it’s fine if you feel more comfortable in just one part of the stack; as long as you’re willing to learn and participate in other parts of it (see list of technologies below).
- Work with engineering leadership to drive engineering quality and standards.
- Work with other engineers to implement features.
- Triage issues, debug the system and fix bugs.
- Break down complex problems, into simple solutions.
- Drive yourself to understand the context and the system in which your code operates.
- Deliver high quality, maintainable code.
- Understand testing methodologies and be able to write testable code along with the relevant tests.
- Work with existing code bases and learn the mechanics of existing applications and data flows.
Experience & Skills
• Experience working as part of an agile software development team in production
• Good familiarity of modern UI development practices
• Good understanding of design patterns - whether OOP or functional
• Experience working with relational/non-relational DBs
• Ability to write maintainable, easy to understand and testable code
• Frontend - React, Typescript
• Backend - Java, Node.js, NestJS, TypeORM
• Infrastructure - containerising applications/services in Docker
• Frontend - Elm
• Backend - Vert.x, Vertigo, JanusGraph (or other graph DBs)
• Mobile - iOS (Swift/Objective C), Android Kotlin, React Native
• Experience working with Kafka or other stream processing platforms
• Experience working with Apache Storm
• Infrastructure - Kubernetes, Terraform, Helm
About EF Education First
At EF we believe that the world is better when people try to understand one another. Since 1965, we have helped millions of people see new places, experience new cultures, and learn new things about the world and about themselves. Our culturally immersive education programs—focused on language, travel, cultural exchange, and academics—turn dreams into international opportunities.
When you join EF, you join a multicultural and diverse community working across more than 600 schools and offices in 50 countries, all with one shared mission of opening the world through education. Whoever you are, whatever you are passionate about—we welcome you and want you to bring that to work every day. EF is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and we are committed to inclusion and belonging across race, ethnicity, gender, age, religion, parental status, identity, experience and everything else that makes you unique.
Founded in Sweden in 1965, EF has school and offices around the world, including hubs in Boston, London, Mexico City, São Paulo, Shanghai, Stockholm, Zürich, and more. Learn more at https://ef.com.