Hi. We’re ecobee. We introduced the world’s first smart Wi-Fi thermostat and since then, we’ve helped millions of people transform the way they save money and conserve energy. With each new release, we introduce technology that brings the ease of automation and peace of mind to the home, allowing people to focus on the moments that matter most. We’re proud of what we’ve done so far, but we’re not about to rest with lots more on the go and big things on the horizon for us in 2020!
We're a mid-sized tech company located in the up-and-coming tech hub on the Toronto waterfront. We look to hire talented people who care deeply about our ever-changing environment and excel in their areas of unique expertise; from software and product development to marketing and sales. We take pride in making a meaningful difference to the environment, all while being part of the exciting connected home revolution.
Who’ll You Be Joining:
As an SRE you will be joining a 10+ person team, who work together on company supporting projects, or with other product lines directly. Our aim is to imbue SRE principles throughout the organization through hands-on work like driving on call health initiatives, contributing directly to the code base, guiding services to production readiness, and building common tooling for all of engineering. We are all curious folks and strive to be constantly learning!
How you’ll make an impact:
At ecobee high availability, scalability and security are at the forefront of every decision we make. As an SRE your decisions will have a meaningful impact on both our systems and our customers. In this role you will not only impact customers but also help to drive cultural changes as ecobee continues to innovate and adopt new technologies.
Your work will also help us improve the automation of our systems. This could involve everything from developing automation systems, to addressing scalability challenges, to crafting a new architecture for storing customer data. As well, you will work closely with our various backend development teams on matters of architectural and systems design.
What you’ll bring to the table:
We've built the following list as a guideline for some of the skills and interests we've seen in SRE’s - but we strive to build our team with members from diverse backgrounds as we realize the best ideas come from anywhere. If any of this resonates with you we would love to chat.
- Python or Go are the languages you tend to use for solving problems and developing internal tooling, though we are open to other languages
- Your experience with automation of cloud services and/or configuration management and orchestration means Ansible, Salt, Terraform or similar are in your tool belt
- Containerization and Kubernetes experience will help you act as mentor to your colleagues
- You have knowledge of fundamental network concepts and protocols
- As someone who likes to fully understand the problem at hand you will investigate the root cause of complex problems naturally and solve them so that our users have a better experience
- Never one for complacency you will take it upon yourself to research new technologies and influence the technical direction of the SRE team and company
What We'll Bring to the Table:
- The opportunity to work in a fresh, dynamic, and ever-growing industry that is the SmartHome and IoT space
- The visibility into a company that has an interesting mix of hardware and software consumer-facing businesses
- The ability to make an environmental impact, both in your day job and outside the 9-5 with programs like ecobee acts!
- Opportunities to learn and grow with our in-house learning enablement team, #ThinkLab and a generous professional learning budget
- A progressive Parental Top-Up Program (75% top up or 5 bonus days off) for all full-time employees taking Parental Leave
- Stock in the company as we approach #1 in the Smart Home industry!
Convinced you’ll be able to make an impact? We’d love to hear from you.
Changes we’ve made to ensure our employees are safe: We are doing our part to ensure that our employees (and future employees) remain healthy, safe, and at home to reduce the spread of Covid-19. In doing so, ecobee has made the decision to be a remote-first work environment until July 1st 2021.
How does this effect recruitment and onboarding? Our interview and onboarding process have remained relatively the same, except that interviews and on boarding sessions are conducted through video. New employees will be starting remotely, and all necessary equipment will be shipped to them.
ecobee believes all people have equal value and we are committed to providing a safe space for everyone. We welcome all applicants with diverse races, genders, ages, religions, identities, experiences, etc. and we will provide accommodation to all applicants throughout our hiring process.
Please note, ecobee does not accept unsolicited resumes.