Hi. We’re ecobee. We introduced the world’s first smart Wi-Fi thermostat and since then, we’ve helped millions of people transform the way they save money and conserve energy. With each new release, we introduce technology that brings the ease of automation and peace of mind to the home, allowing people to focus on the moments that matter most. We’re proud of what we’ve done so far, but we’re not about to rest with lots more on the go and big things on the horizon for us in 2020!
We're a rapidly growing tech company located in the up-and-coming tech hub on the Toronto waterfront. We look to hire talented people who care deeply about our ever-changing environment and excel in their areas of unique expertise; from software and product development to marketing and sales. We take pride in making a meaningful difference to the environment, all while being part of the exciting connected home revolution!
Who’ll You Be Joining:
Our Hardware team is made up of engineers with a wide variety of specialties, skill sets, backgrounds, and experiences ranging from HVAC control to RF design, digital logic, avionics, test fixtures, embedded software development, PCB layout and power electronics. They aim to bring their wide experience to the cross-functional squads that they are a part of, with a focus on collaboration, learning, development.
How You’ll Make an Impact:
As a Hardware Engineer, you will be an integral member of transforming innovative ideas from concept to prototype through to mass production.
Working in the Hardware Engineering department, your involvement in product development will go far beyond circuit design as you will also be tasked to invent creative and novel ways to create incredible products. Your understanding of the often conflicting demands of industrial design, manufacturability, thermal management, battery life, signal integrity and user experience will enable you invent beautiful and eloquent solutions to impossible problems. A strong technical background in the schematic design of a wide range of domains including high speed digital design, analog instrumentation, RF systems and high-voltage power supplies will enable you to quickly translate designs from schematics to manufacturing.
To create reliable and lasting products for our customers, it is also important that Design for Manufacturing, Design for Assembly and Design for Test are core to the development cycle. Working closely with engineers from other teams including embedded, test fixtures, manufacturing and mechanical, you will engage in collaborative engineering discussions ranging from system architecture, to RF protocol development, production test philosophy, antenna design, thermal management, mechanical design and even industrial design (to name a few). Your valued insights will be instrumental to the cooperative effort that is cornerstone to ecobee product development.
The Hardware Engineering team is routinely challenged with the question “can it be done?” As a Senior Hardware Engineer, you will be a major contributor to help us answer with a resounding “yes”.
What You’ll Bring to the Table:
- Bachelor of Engineering degree in Electronics (or similar)
- Must have been involved with full product development and high volume production
- design concept, circuit design, multiple stages of prototype development and test, entry into manufacturing, test fixtures
- identify and resolve design issues resulting in more reliable product and easing production
- identify and resolve field failures and work back improvements into the design
- Circuit design using Altium Designer
- Component research, work with vendors to identify suitable components for products
- Test Plan development, Proto validation
- Analog design with MOSFETs, TRIAC and BJT
- LCD, power supply, capacitive touch design
- Circuit simulation, Spice
- Solid communication and written skills, speaks clearly with others in the team
- Self-disciplined, ability to work independently
- Production Test Fixture strategy and development for high throughput production
- Strong passion for hardware design with test equipment and lab setup at home
- Background in PCB layout including optimization of power distribution networks, stack-up design, high-speed interfaces and high voltage systems
- Expertise in RF including antenna design and FCC certification
- Ability to write C and assembler code, IDE experience, compiling, downloading and trap trace debug
- Experience in low power, IoT sensor design
- CPU architectures, 8 bit, 32 bit and 64 bit experience
- Memory architectures, eMMC, DDR3, DDR4 etc.
- Embedded Linux and C++ development
What We’ll Bring to the Table:
- The opportunity to work in a fresh, dynamic, and ever-growing industry that is the SmartHome and IoT space
- The visibility into a company that has an interesting mix of hardware and software consumer-facing businesses
- The ability to make an environmental impact, both in your day job and outside the 9-5 with programs like ecobee acts!
- Opportunities to learn and grow with our in-house learning enablement team, #ThinkLab and a generous professional learning budget
- A progressive Parental Top-Up Program (75% top up or 5 bonus days off) for all full-time employees taking Parental Leave
- Stock in the company as we approach #1 in the Smart Home industry!
Changes we’ve made to ensure our employees are safe: We are doing our part to ensure that our employees (and future employees) remain healthy, safe, and at home to reduce the spread of Covid-19. In doing so, ecobee has made the decision to be a remote-first work environment until July 1st 2021. Given this position requires working with physical devices, this role will require in-office work, following the completion of our Covid-19 in office safety training.
How does this affect hiring and onboarding? Our interview and onboarding process has remained relatively the same, except that interviews and on boarding sessions are conducted through video. New employees will be starting remotely and all necessary equipment will be shipped to them.
Our recruitment team is happy to answer any questions candidates may have.
Convinced you’ll be able to make an impact? We’d love to hear from you.
ecobee believes all people have equal value and we are committed to providing a safe space for everyone. We welcome all applicants with diverse races, genders, ages, religions, identities, experiences, etc. and we will provide accommodation to all applicants throughout our hiring process.
Please note, ecobee does not accept unsolicited resumes.