ABOUT COLOR OF CHANGE
Color Of Change is the nation's largest online racial justice organization. We develop strategies to put an end to policies and practices holding Black people back while championing the solutions that move all people forward. As a national force driven by over one million members, we move decision-makers in corporations and government to create a more humane and less hostile world for Black people in America. In 2005, Color Of Change was founded in response to the realization that during the Hurricane Katrina crisis, no one was afraid to disappoint Black people. There were no consequences for Black people being left stranded on their roofs to die, nor was there sufficient infrastructure among Black communities to aggregate our power and demand them for those that perpetuated or refused to acknowledge the tragic injustice. Color Of Change is impacting lives by introducing accountability into the systems of decision-making. We leverage emerging technologies and our media savvy and sharp focus to build the power it takes to move decision-makers in corporations, media, and government to drive meaningful change for Black people in service of ending injustice for all oppressed groups.
The Marketing & Storytelling team creates and leads the brand and content strategy necessary to translate and advance COC's values, vision, and efforts across a broad set of national influencers and grassroots activists. Through various platforms and mediums, the team is responsible for supporting efforts across the organization to deliver on our main promise: provoking the level and frequency of action from our members and allies that will force target decision-makers to take action, and thereby achieve real-world impact and lasting, systemic change. The team is also responsible for brand management, strategic content development, content distribution, and high-level media relations. Central to the Marketing & Storytelling team's work is COC's Hollywood work that is designed to change the way Black people (and the issues we care about) are represented in entertainment media and to effectively leverage cultural influencers to support our campaigns.
We are seeking a talented Graphic Designer with a passion for creating content that can help motivate and rally people to end racial injustice wherever it exists, and who brings the right cultural orientation and creative sensibility for doing so. Working with the Chief Marketing & Storytelling Officer (CMSO), the Graphic Designer will lead the production of high-quality creative assets to promote the brand, campaigns, and initiatives of the organization through key channels, in the context of an overall marketing and engagement strategy set forth by the organization-social media, websites, presentations, print materials, merchandise, etc. The Graphic Designer will work within our overall design management process, and will at times work closely with external content and design consultants. The Graphic Designer is experienced in creating powerful, savvy, on-strategy graphic assets in response to a creative brief, sophisticated brand book and assessment metrics, as well as in identifying opportunities to increase the efficacy of COC creative content.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Design campaign-related digital assets (graphics, basic motion graphics, photography, basic illustration) per design assignments in a timely and often rapid manner
- Help institutionalize the Color Of Change brand guide and assets
- Think creatively and develop new design concepts, graphics, and layouts for various initiatives, and for general organizational promotion/engagement
- Create or edit other graphics as needed, including website content, presentations, internal communications templates, infographics, icons, newsletters, merch, and other collateral
- Incorporate changes recommended by campaign staff into the final design and reviewing designs for errors before printing or publishing them
- Integrate contemporary and/or audience-specific design trends into design work, and evolve the overall breadth of execution against the brand book
- Manage the organization (storage and security) of all design assets and project outputs
- Manage vendors and consultants such as other designers, copy-editors and printers
- Identify and build a network of graphic designers, printers and other asset producers to support design work
- Track and coordinate design assignments, coordinate billing and ordering of relevant materials and supplies and provide follow-up where needed
- Provide vendors and consultants with art and graphic design direction to determine the scope of a project
- Guide vendors on organization strategies to reach a particular audience based on specific design needs
- Ability and experience in helping maintain brand integrity
- Create images that identify a product or convey a message
- Helping oversee creative projects including photographic and video-related content
- A minimum of 5 years of experience producing savvy graphic design and digital media
- Advanced proficiency with the full Adobe CS, as well as related design/content software
- Portfolio highlighting demonstrated ability to take a project from concept to completion, and to create effective/strategic content per stated goals
- Mastery in designing for various required specs (websites, social platforms, etc.)
- Cultural savvy, sensitivity and instincts appropriate for Color Of Change
- Demonstrated, exceptional project management skills, and ability to work on tight timelines, with internal and external partners, based in national offices or remotely
- The ability to prioritize among competing priorities and multi-task across a broad spectrum of collaborators; enjoys working independently, as well as on a team
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and sharp attention to detail
- Professionalism regarding time, costs and deadlines and maintaining and managing budgets
- Commitment to confidentiality and the ability to exercise absolute discretion and independent judgment
- Demonstrated alignment with COC's mission and campaigns, and an interest in deepening your commitment to racial justice and building a career in impact
- An entrepreneurial spirit, adaptability, and a positive attitude
- Proficient with social media marketing and digital engagement strategies and tactics, including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Snapchat
- Ability to develop strong creative and design concepts from scratch
- Excellent relationship-building skills, with demonstrated experience managing up and across an organization
Click the \"Apply for this position\" link and submit a resume and COC-specific cover letter. Applications will be received on a rolling basis.
The salary for the Graphic Designer position is $76,000/year and Color Of Change also offers a competitive benefits package. This is a full-time exempt position.
Color Of Change (COC) is an equal opportunity employer. COC prohibits unlawful discrimination against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, religion, sex, gender identity, age, national origin, genetic characteristics, disability, status as a special disabled veteran or veteran, marital status, sexual orientation, sexual identity or any other basis prohibited by law.