Bread is a technology company that aims to transform the way the world shops online. We build tools, technologies and APIs that allow e-commerce merchants to integrate installment loan financing and other alternative payment products anywhere in their customers’ shopping journey. Bread was started in 2014 by financial technology veterans, and has experienced explosive growth to date. We’re backed by top investors including Menlo Ventures, Bessemer Venture Partners, Kinnevik, among others.
Bread has enormous and engaging technical challenges. We need to verify online identity, predict fraud, and approve and price credit while providing a beautiful and frictionless consumer experience, all in real time. Our engineering team is seasoned, talented, agile, and quickly growing. We are looking to hire an Engineering Manager to join the current engineering team in continuing to build out our core platform, product, and teams.
This role will sit on our Members team, which is responsible for building out our new financial servicing platform. As Bread grows to become the best API for all types of POS payment opportunities, this team will build the engine that allows us to run and service those instruments over time. There are many real time high volume processes such as payment processing and lifecycle management the team needs to build for, as well as heavy data pipelines for various accounting and reporting jobs which need to scale as we continue to grow. The members team also builds out the internal tools and portals which allows other business units at Bread to operate each and every day. With respect to our consumers and financial partners, this team is building the post-checkout engine of Bread.
The Members team is cross functional and owns multiple backends written in Go, as well as multiple React frontends, all of which are integral to the success of the business.
Your role at Bread:
- Manage a product engineering team, including professional development and leading them towards product delivery and success
- Work with senior engineering leadership to guide and influence the direction of the engineering organization
- Work actively with product to both understand and help develop the engineering roadmap
- Be accountable for leading design and implementation of new features and iterations of our core platform
- Block and tackle, when necessary, for engineers on your team
- Be data oriented and focused on what it takes to deliver reliable, scalable, and efficient products and technologies
What we are looking for:
- Experience managing and/or leading engineering teams
- A penchant for Back End engineering
- Expertise building scalable, reliable distributed systems
- Expert knowledge of server-side languages and data stores (such as: Go, Java, Rust, Postgresql, Redis, etc)
- Experience with public web APIs
- A passion for product, engineering and technology
Nice to have:
- Proven experience managing/leading a 4+ person team
- Experience developing systems intended for cloud deployments (AWS,k8s, docker)
- Experience with Go/PostgreSQL/Rabbit/Redis
- Experience managing in an OKR and KPI environment
- Experience on agile teams
- Experience with message-based, loosely coupled architectures (we use gRPC, RabbitMQ and Redis)
- Knowledge of financial products
- You enable your team at every chance you get
Engineers at Bread also get the opportunity to participate in “20%” time through Working Groups! Working Groups are quarterly teams of 4 to 6 engineers who set out to tackle a specific engineering initiative outside of their core engineering team. Working Groups have included ones for Logging Architecture, Internal Authentication, Community & Blogs, Testing Infrastructure, and Monitoring. Groups meet every Friday to plan and own their roadmap and implement their features. All engineers get a chance to be in one of these groups and over time potentially lead a group for that quarter. It's another opportunity as an engineer at Bread to have impact across the entire organization!
If this is you, submit a cover letter and resume to apply!