JOB TITLE: Underwriting Team Lead
JOB CLASSIFICATION: Exempt
REPORTS TO: VP, Underwriting
JOB PURPOSE: The Underwriting Team Lead in Argo Casualty will be responsible for building and maintaining a portfolio of accounts within assigned broker base, while also providing direct supervision of underwriters and oversight of new business growth relative to plan
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Review and price policies to verify acceptability based upon company underwriting guidelines and granted underwriting authority both primary and supported excess.
- Utilize underwriting tools to determine accurate classifications, rates, and premium charges.
- Interact in person, via email, and by phone with wholesale brokers to obtain further risk-specific details, negotiate terms and pricing, and explain company positions.
- Manage assigned underwriting territory, including the performance (GWP, loss ratio) of assigned brokers.
- Supervise, develop and mentor less experienced team members.
- Oversee and approve endorsements as indicated.
- Resolve premium audit disputes within assigned territory.
- Review state laws, including cancellation and non-renewal, within assigned territory to properly transact business within the state.
- Create, analyze, and interpret data from various reports/dashboards.
- Conduct educational sessions within the department.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree or seven plus years related insurance experience and/or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Five years commercial casualty underwriting experience with authority, preferably in excess and surplus lines.
- Proven track record of driving profitable growth.
- Demonstrates an understanding and ability to effectively engage in the negotiation process.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Previous insurance educational work, IIA and CPCU designation strongly preferred.
- Detail oriented with initiative and the ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment.
- Excellent analytical skills.
- Ability to travel.
- Advanced knowledge of computer programs, including Word, Excel, and Outlook.
PLEASE NOTE: At this time, Argo Group will not sponsor an applicant for employment authorization for this position.
If you have a disability under the Americans with Disabilities Act or a similar law and you wish to discuss potential accommodations related to applying for employment at Argo Group, please contact our Benefits Department at 210-321-8400.
To all recruitment agencies: Unless you have been requested to work on this position, or other positions with Argo Group, please do not forward any resumes to Argo Group employees. Argo Group is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of age, ancestry, color, gender, gender expression, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin or citizenship (including language use restrictions), denial of family and medical care leave, disability (mental and physical) , including HIV and AIDS, medical condition (including cancer and genetic characteristics), race, religious creed (including religious dress and grooming practices), sex (including pregnancy, child birth, breastfeeding, and medical conditions related to pregnancy, child birth or breastfeeding), sexual orientation, military or veteran status, or other status protected by federal, state and/or local laws.
Applicants: For the most convenient application experience, please use the "Apply with LinkedIn" button. If manually entering, only include your most recent or relevant job information needed for this role. For either method, please attach your most current resume. Additional job history may be obtained if selected for the interview process.