A Business Intelligence (BI) Engineer is a member of the Applications Development & Support team, and will help to create and manage business intelligence, reporting, and analytics solutions that turn data into knowledge for the business.
This role should have a background in data and business analysis; be analytical with a problem-solving aptitude and be an excellent communicator. This role will be responsible for understanding communicated business requests, and translating into usable, dynamic reports. The person needs to have an excellent capability with understanding data and business context and be able to think creatively about data challenges.
- Translate business needs into technical specifications. Requirements gathering and documentation from extensive interaction with users.
- Design, build, and deploy BI solutions and reports using, but not limited to, Power BI reports, dashboards and paginated reports and Power BI Service admin, SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS) tabular data models, SQL Server Reporting Services (SSRS), SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS).
- Evaluate and improve existing BI systems, reports, scripts, and other automations.
- Craft and execute SQL queries upon request for data, and to conduct analyses.
- Develop ETL processes, involving SQL Stored Procedures and SSIS Packages.
- Conduct unit testing and troubleshoot data issues in existing reports or cubes.
- Develop and update technical documentation.
- Maintain and support data analytics platforms.
- Acquire a working knowledge of existing technical processes and apply this knowledge to assigned tasks and projects
- Other duties as assigned
Knowledge, Skills, Education
- Ability to gather requirements from users and translate into technical specifications.
- Proven ability to take initiative and be innovative.
- Analytical mind with a problem-solving aptitude.
- In-depth understanding of database management systems, relational databases and the ability to write efficient SQL.
- < 5 years' experience as a BI Engineer, Developer or Data Scientist.
- Experience with Power BI including:
- Tabular Data Modeling
- Intermediate DAX
- Creating reports and dashboards
- Experience with SQL Reporting Services (SSRS)
Nice to Have
- Development experience with SQL Server Analysis Services (SSAS) BISM Tabular Data Modeling ( note: functionally this is identical to data modeling with Power BI )
- Background with Python, R, or another statistical analysis package
- Understanding of online analytical processing (OLAP) and ETL (Extract, Transform, Load) framework. Experience developing in SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS).
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel - especially utilizing Power Query and Power Pivot to access external data sources.
- Degree in computer science, management information systems, data analytics, or another program that emphasizes analysis of data
- Staffing industry experience is preferred.