FPGA Engineer HSV
- Huntsville, AL
Abaco Systems is an acknowledged leader in rugged embedded computing, especially in the military/aerospace market. Our products are used in hundreds of mission critical applications, where the performance and reliability we deliver can be a matter of life and death.
We're growing fast: we've added substantially to our organization in roles across the board - and that expansion will continue. We're also growing by acquisition. Our strategy puts our customers front and center of everything we do: their success will drive our success.
If you see yourself being part of a growing organization that's making a real difference in the world, Abaco Systems is for you.
As a FPGA Engineer you will be responsible for developing IP to facilitate the integration of Abaco's wide ranging product lines into rugged embedded systems. You will apply your firmware expertise to the definition, design, build, integration and test of these products for the Military and Aerospace market. You will also utilize your experience to help Abaco grow its customer base by working closely with the Hardware and Software development teams to further enhance our product catalog and custom embedded solutions.
- Conceive, experiment, and present modular architectural approaches for FPGA applications with an emphasis on re-use and testability
- Ensure architectural integrity and consistency across the entire Abaco product line
- Create a culture of innovation by seeking creative, contemporary technical solutions to meet customer needs
- Design new IP cores and firmware solutions for Mil/Aero products
- Stay current on technical developments and trends, as well as the state of the art in the automation and embedded computing industry
- Lead the execution of the design, analysis, or evaluation of projects using sound engineering principles and adhering to business standards, practices, procedures, and product / program requirements
- Responsible for overall communication of FPGA development progress and status
- Ensure the documentation of technical data generated by the assigned projects is consistent with engineering policies and procedures
- Coordinate with various business functions to ensure the smooth transition of New Product Introductions from prototype through production life-cycles
- Ensure new designs meet pertinent functional, environmental, safety, and security standards for applicable markets and industries
- Solicit and manage component or product sourcing from 3rd party vendors as necessary to achieve goals
- Maintain project adherence to ISO/AS9100
- Ensure timely communications to all stakeholders on significant issues or developments
- Minimum 2 year of FPGA Development experience
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 10% as required
- US Citizen or green card holder
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Electrical Engineering, Computer Engineering, or related field
- Comprehensive experience developing using Verilog, System Verilog and/or VHDL
DESIRED WORK EXPERIENCE
- 5+ years in FPGA/firmware development/engineering including requirements analysis, software development, installation, integration, evaluation, enhancement, maintenance, testing, and problem diagnosis/resolution.
- Significant experience in direct product development of IP for FPGAs
- Strong ability to manage multiple open issues simultaneously
- Knowledge of embedded computing products
- Ability to apply digital design knowledge and principles to architect systems
- Expertise using a hardware description language such as VHDL, Verilog, or System Verilog
- Expertise with Xilinx, Altera, Lattice, or Microsemi devices and toolchains
- Expertise in FPGA timing constraint application and closure
- Expertise in hands-on integration and debug of FPGA-based systems
- Expertise with digital simulation such as Modelsim, Questa, or FGPA vendor simulation tools
- Expertise with in-circuit analysis using FPGA based logic analyzer tools
- Experience with embedded processor and System on a Chip development of FPGA devices
- Knowledge of encryption/decryption standards such as AES or RSA
- Knowledge of FPGA and board-level security and anti-tamper techniques
- Knowledge of industry standard interfaces and protocols such as AXI, PCIe, GigE, SPI, I2C, etc.
- Cross-discipline knowledge such as software, systems, modeling, etc.
- Advocate of continuous improvement
- Self-motivated and results-oriented
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills
At Abaco, we know that our people are our strength. We're a team with a common goal - and we're passionate about what we do, innovative, and open-minded. We're not just given responsibility - we're actively encouraged to make things happen. Oh, and - we have fun. If that sounds like your kind of organization - why not join us?
Abaco Systems prides itself on being an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Back to top