We could spend all day arguing about the merits of Daylight Savings Time, but the fact of the matter is this: For many of us, it’s dark outside by 4:45 PM in the winter months. So, the real question is, how do you stay productive in the office when you feel like you should be going to bed?
Take a look at these nine tips and tricks for not only keeping your eyes open, but also being the most productive person in the office when it looks like nighttime, but you still have hours to go.
- Already had two full cups of coffee today and still need another caffeine rush—but one that won’t keep you up all night? Try out a green or black tea for a nice late afternoon boost. (Lifehacker)
- Protein is great for your brain power and also awesome for staying awake. Try one of these filling options if you’re not hungry enough for a full meal. (Yahoo)
- Blue light may be terrible for your health at night, but it keeps you up during the workday. (Harvard Health)
- There’s nothing worse than sitting still at a desk for eight hours and watching it get dark at 4 PM. Get your deskercise on to loosen up and get your blood pumping. (Greatist)
- Chewing gum not only improves brain function, but it can also keep you upright as the sun goes down. (WIRED)
- Try these simple acupressure points to stimulate your nervous system after sitting in the same place for hours. (Prevention)
- Boost productivity while finding a sense of a calm by trying out these various yoga breathing techniques. (POPSUGAR)
- Never underestimate the power of a great productivity playlist. (Hubspot)
- See if your boss is OK with you working from home (or just somewhere other than the office) at the end of the day—the change of scenery might just be the boost you need. (The Daily Muse)