8 Career Fears You Need to Face (and How to Do It)
Ralph Waldo Emerson famously said that we should always do what we’re afraid to do. But as we all know by now, that’s a lot easier said than done. After all, if you know that roller coasters nearly give you a heart attack, why would you go on one?
That said, conquering your fears leads to a lot more growth, and within the realm of your career, good things usually come from facing what scares you the most.
But how do you start facing your fears? We’ve searched the web far and wide to bring you some of the best advice on how to conquer the aspects of your career that may frighten you the most.
- One of the biggest obstacles standing in people’s way of career advancement or success is perfectionism. But did you know that you can overcome a fear of not being perfect with just one simple word? (Tiny Buddha)
- Another important thing to remember is that fear is personal, so if you know why you feel so connected to a particular hang-up, you’re more likely to conquer it. (Entrepreneur)
- Don’t worry if you’re feeling alone in your fear, though; there are, in fact, five basic fears that all humans share. (Psychology Today)
- The fear of feeling overwhelmed can keep a lot of people from taking on bigger, bolder projects, speaking up at meetings, and just doing more around the office. Luckily, the simple S.O.S. method can help you overcome that anxiety. (Lifehacker)
- If you have a fear of never getting a promotion, here are 16 common mistakes that people make when tring to get to the next level. If you can avoid them, you’re already on your way to success. (Forbes)
- Sometimes conquering a fear just takes a small boost in your self-confidence, even if the method may seem a little ridiculous. (Business Insider)
- Feeling stuck at your job? Learn to conquer your fear of leaving and get out there. (DailyWorth)
- Also keep in mind that it’s just as important to know what other people fear, or else your team will be less productive. (Inc.)
Wnat more help conquering your career fears? Check out our suggestions!
- Video Pick: How Fear Will Help You Find Your Passion
- 5 Ways to Boost Your Confidence in a New Job
- How to Get Over Your Fear of Taking a Career Risk
Photo of shark fin courtesy of Shutterstock.
About The Author
Lily is a writer, editor, and social media manager, as well as co-founder of The Prospect, the world’s largest student-run college access organization. In addition to her writing with The Muse, she also serves as an editor at HelloFlo and Her Campus. Recently, she was named one of Glamour’s Top 10 College Women for her work helping underserved youth get into college. You can follow Lily on Twitter.