Strong communities don’t just happen—they’re built. They’re creatively imagined, collaboratively planned, and readied to face tomorrow with optimism. We’re driving the future of Community Development. Our experts lead their fields, collaborating on projects that are as technically challenging as they are impactful, creative, and fulfilling. We’re a place where you can apply your passion—and find endless opportunities to help make communities more equitable, resilient, and livable.
As an Urban Planner within our Community Development business line, you will have the opportunity to work on projects such as downtown revitalization plans, resiliency plans, transportation corridors, streetscapes, and transit-oriented developments. Our highly experienced, multi-disciplinary team specializes in urban design; integration of architecture, street design, public space design, and sustainability with urban planning; bicycle, and pedestrian-oriented planning. We connect the people, places, and resources that take a project from concept to reality.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Manages and leads team members while working on projects. Giving direction to team members on projects/tasks.
- Completes tasks and delegates specific tasks to other team members as appropriate.
- Effectively coordinates with the project team through the planning and design phase of projects.
- Plans, schedules, conducts, and coordinates the technical aspects of assigned projects.
- Performs due diligence and research on projects as required to provide the background information to start a new project.
- Projects costs and forecasts future trends related to land use or development.
- Communicates effectively with clients to resolve technical project issues, present and explain reports and designs and provide service to meet client’s goals.
- Works within defined project scopes, budgets and schedules.
- Performs other duties of a similar nature and level as assigned.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Thorough understanding of planning, architecture and design concepts.
- Effective communicator and able to work on and lead teams.
- Ability to solve complex problems using sound professional judgment, creativity, and innovation.
- Working knowledge of relevant drafting/design software, such as AutoCAD, GIS, SketchUp, Photoshop, InDesign, and Adobe Acrobat.
Education and Experience
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in Architecture, Planning, Landscape Architecture or related field. Prefer APA, AIA or PLA certification. Minimum of 5-6 years of experience.
Typical office environment working with computers. Some travel may be required (add in expected travel %), such as delivering plans or documents to reviewing agencies or clients or to attend meetings. May occasionally visit study areas, construction sites and/or be exposed to outside elements and inclement weather conditions.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each other’s talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your pe rsonal best.
Back to top