The buildings that make up the landscape of our daily lives seem like permanent fixtures, fastened to a time and place. But what if that didn’t have to be true? What if our built environment — where we live, learn, play, and conduct business — carried us forward instead?
Our Buildings practice keeps people at its heart, recognizing that our shared journey forward is shaped by the meaningful and responsive places we design. From iconic designs to monumental groundbreakings, join us to bring transformational building solutions to life. Every day we apply our expertise, creativity, and passion to propel communities into the future—join us!
Your role as a senior contributor on our professional Architecture team is to work independently to assist clients through the planning and creation of fiscally responsible, award-winning designs. Your experience ensures that you are quite familiar with construction plans, specifications, estimates and building codes. You will be innovating and creating new prototypes designed with sustainable products with green architecture sensibility as your goals. You will lead the development of integrated design proposals, continuous updating of a building information model, preparing a variety of output / drawings throughout the project, while leading and mentoring others and collaborating with team members to contribute to the final deliverables as required under instruction from the Project Leader.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Advocates and inspires creativity, critical thought and design excellence both internally and externally.
- Support Business Development activities, including marketing proposals, interview, conference attendance, etc.
- Assists in identification, recruiting, and interviewing of design staff at all levels.
- Fosters collaboration between offices while promoting and providing design vision.
- Acts as a mentor, teacher and coach to design staff with the goal of growing and guiding them through their careers.
- Evaluates the quality of design and design activities, and assure a high level of design quality throughout the firm.
- Develops and implements firm’s brand, image, marketing collateral and business collateral.
- Participates in performance reviews including setting of job goals.
- Oversees and participates in production of design award submissions.
- Engages staff in dialog on design, ensures design process is followed and influences usage of technological tools.
- Acts as a vehicle for the delivery of firm’s message on design.
- Expresses philosophy of the work with appropriate vocabulary.
- Identifies and directs project photography, written descriptions, and other media in support of building the firm’s portfolio.
- Ambassador and steward of the firm’s portfolio of work with ability to guide and educate others.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- Ability to engage in creative and critical thought.
- To produce design at a level that would be perceived externally as excellent.
- To hand sketch and communicate concepts and ideas to others effectively.
- To participate in project team setting.
- To lead several teams on large complex projects through the development of design concept.
- To receive criticism and respond appropriately and professionally.
- Inspire confidence and garner trust and respect with the project team and with clients.
- Provide a balanced approach and good judgement.
- To check work of others for accuracy and completeness, and manage team to meet project budget and schedule.
- Scale process, design and effort to various roles on the project, the needs of the project, and other conditions.
- Interpret sketches, drawings, codes, building program and other similar material. Strong presentation and interview skills.
- Understanding of historical values and context.
- To present abstract ideas to the client and client representatives.
- To exhibit maturity and cultural awareness internally and externally.
- General knowledge of building construction systems, constructability, materials, and industry associated standards.
- Requires understanding of Microsoft Office Suite, Revit, AutoCAD,Abobe Creative Suite, SketchUP, Newforma, Sefaira, Recent modeling software; Prefer experience with 3D Printer, Laser cutter.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Architecture or related field & Registered Architect. Minimum of 7-8 years of experience. LEED Green Associate or LEED AP preferred.
- Typical office environment working with computers and remaining sedentary for long periods of time. Field work may include exposure to the elements including inclement weather.
- This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each others’ talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.