Strong communities don’t just happen—they’re built. They’re creatively imagined, collaboratively planned, and readied to face tomorrow with optimism. We’re driving the future of Community Development. Our experts lead their fields, collaborating on projects that are as technically challenging as they are impactful, creative, and fulfilling. We’re a place where you can apply your passion—and find endless opportunities to help make communities more equitable, resilient, and livable.
Our Westlake, Houston Texas office is looking for a Principal for our Community Development Group. This individual will be responsible for maintaining project schedules and budgets, for contract negotiations and for client interaction for land development projects. He/she will be responsible for providing clear direction to the Community Development staff to guide projects to a successful completion. He/she will be responsible for project quality control and will possess a solid understanding of the overall project development and design process as well as possess extensive project management experience and a high level of professionalism in their dealings with the public and staff.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Organizing and supervising the work of a technical team with regard to the planning, design, processing and construction support of civil engineering projects.
- Supervising the preparation of engineering drawings and specifications, cost estimates, and preliminary and final reports for land development projects.
- Performing project management duties on major engineering projects, including client and sub-consultant coordination; making presentations to planning commissions, zoning boards, municipal officials and public agencies; attending client meeting; and visiting job sites.
- Maintaining project budgets, preparing estimates, establishing cost controls and maintaining project schedules.
- Strong previous experience around client and business development;
- Ensuring quality control.
- Managing and controlling sub-consultant contracts.
- Organizing and maintaining project files.
- Preparing monthly billing.
- Marketing new clients and maintaining existing clients.
- Negotiating with and/or on behalf of clients.
- Preparing project proposals and attending pre- and post-proposals meetings/interviews.
- Signing and sealing project plans as supervising engineer.
- Assisting in staff hiring.
- Staff development.
- Conducting performance appraisals and administering disciplinary action.
Your Capabilities and Credentials
- A track record of establishing and maintaining client relationships in the greater Houston area.
- Strong ability to develop business and promote business relationships.
- Strong ability to motivate staff and promote teamwork within and across offices.
- Excellent organization, coordination, managerial and "people" skills.
- Excellent technical writing skills; capable of writing reports, letters and technical specifications.
- Excellent verbal communication skills.
- Computer literacy in word processing and spreadsheet software preferred.
- Possession of a valid driver's license.
Education and Experience
- Minimum of 10 - 15 years of project management experience, including ability to organize and supervise the work of other engineers, designers and sub-consultants.
- Education equivalent to college degree in civil engineering or equivalent work experience.
This description is not a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that may be required of the employee and other duties, responsibilities and activities may be assigned or may be changed at any time with or without notice.
Stantec is a place where the best and brightest come to build on each others’ talents, do exciting work, and make an impact on the world around us. Join us and redefine your personal best.